Pool Pump Wiring Problem

Old 02-12-18, 02:34 PM
Pool Pump Wiring Problem

Hello,

I'm having trouble with a spa pump and I'm stumped. I'm hoping someone can help.

I bought a house recently, and the pump for the hot tub doesn't work...it limped by in the beginning, just well enough to pass inspection, but quickly started overheating and shutting off. Once it cools it will run again but only for a short time. I hoped it was an issue with the pump and replaced it with a new (rebuilt) pump, but the new pump is showing the same symptoms. I wired it exactly the same as the previous pump.

The attached image shows the wiring. I have two red wires coming to the pump. Each wire shows 124v on a multimeter. Also one green wire, which I assume is ground and tests with no current on the multimeter. Wired as it is in the picture, the pump will not run AT ALL. I tested the motor by shorting the green ground to wire (#1), and the pump will run, but obviously I can't run it like that. Seems clear that the old one was wired wrong, and now I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
One of the electrical pros should be along shortly. Just a quick glance and looks to me to be set up correctly; selector switch is set to 230v and you have the two hot lines attached. I'm curious to hear what the pros say.

I did notice the voltage selector maybe not turned all the way to 230, so might check that.

Old 02-12-18, 05:07 PM
Did you also check that the voltage across the two hots is 240V? Testing between a hot and ground should give you 120V+-. If testing between the two hots gives you 0V the wires are not connected correctly at the source, both hots are on the same leg in the panel, but will test at 120V+- each to ground.

Old 02-12-18, 05:25 PM
I did, and the results don't make any sense. red one tests 124v, red two tests 134v, and when I jump them, it tests 16v. Clearly there's a wiring fault somewhere further up the line. I've run out of daylight, but tomorrow I'll start at the breaker and test all the junctions for the two wires between the breaker and the pump. Hopefully I can find where the mishap occurs.

Old 02-12-18, 05:43 PM
It is possible one of the wire is open.
Measure again with wires detached from the motor. While it is connected, even if one of the wire is open you will get voltage through motor's winding.

Check the breaker. Some times 2 pole breaker trips just on one leg (although it should not happen on common trip breakers).
Try turning it off then back on. If that doesn't fix, check voltage across 2 legs at the breaker. If you don't get 240V, replace the breaker.

Also, if the breaker is tandem breaker (2 breakers in size of one) make sure the breaker is setting between 2 different legs (buses) of the panel.

If all of those checks out ok, look for possible damaged wire. Could be in the wall or underground or even at the junction box there may be.

Old 02-12-18, 05:50 PM
If this is a 240V circuit the source breaker should be a double pole breaker that crosses both legs in the panel. Test the voltage at the breaker across both lugs to verify 240V+- at the breaker.

Lambition beat me to it...

Old 02-12-18, 07:10 PM
At the breaker, I get 240 across the poles. I ran out of daylight today, but tomorrow I'll test the line to line voltage at each leg of the journey from the breaker to the pump and see if I can figure out where it fails.

More to follow

Old 02-12-18, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
You have two red wires at the motor. If you don't have two red wires on the breaker than there's a splice that needs finding.

Old 02-13-18, 09:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like one of those red wires is broken or burned off somewhere between the breaker and the motor. Could be a switch or timer with a bad contact too.

Old 02-13-18, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wire loops should be clockwise around the screws.

Old 02-13-18, 05:25 PM
Does the direction of the wire loops affect the functionality of the motor?

I found that I had a bad switch on the timer, and bypassed it. Now I test and get 240 across both poles when the power to the pump is on, but it still does not come on. Any other thoughts?

Old 02-13-18, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The direction of the loop only changes whether the screw pulls the wire into better contact or pushes the wire away from the screw.

Does the motor spin freely with the power off?

Old 02-13-18, 05:47 PM
Yes, it spins freely with the power off.

Old 02-13-18, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Since you confirmed 240v on the motor terminals..... there doesn't appear to be a power problem. Usually if it's a start switch or capacitor problem...... the motor will hum loudly on power up. I'd start by checking the thermal overload. It can be found on the last page of this A.O. Smith motor manual.

ao-smith-troubleshooting-26-36.pdf

Old 02-14-18, 05:01 AM
Also check the points on that centrifugal switch on the back of the motor ,also if its a rebuilt motor and you are sure of the correct voltage at the motor,return the motor to the motor shop and let them check it out.
Geo