What is this in my breaker box?

Old 02-14-18, 08:50 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is this in my breaker box?

I have this thing on the top right hand corner of my breaker box. See picture below. Basically 2 hot wires and 1 neutral wire connect to it and it's sealed on top with what looks like a gel/silicone type of thing.

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-18, 09:20 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It would help if we could see this "thing" on top of the enclosure. I can state that the connections to the main bus bars is absolutely wrong. Those connections are only to be used with a single conductor and the "thing" has no overcurrent protection when wired directly.

I suspect that what you have is some kind of surge arrestor BUT it should also have a green equipment grounding conductor. It should be wired to a circuit breaker.

Old 02-14-18, 12:22 PM
D
Here are better pictures.

I have 3 ground connections in my house. 1 is bare copper that connects to the left neutral bus bar and goes to the water main pipe in my basement. The others are thick green insulated copper wires that go to two ground rods outside the house and they connect to the right neutral bus bar.

Attached Images    
Old 02-14-18, 01:49 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Looks like trouble. Apparently a TVSS that is not going to a 2pole breaker, instead to some unfused big lugs. (which are not supposed to share either!).

Needs to be fixed.

Oh, yes. What Furd said!

Old 02-14-18, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Used to have that little round doohickie on our box when I was a kid. Dad referred to it as a lightning arrestor.

Old 02-14-18, 02:08 PM
D
Originally Posted by telecom guy
Looks like trouble. Apparently a TVSS that is not going to a 2pole breaker, instead to some unfused big lugs. (which are not supposed to share either!).

Needs to be fixed.

Oh, yes. What Furd said!
Do you mind explaining in english?

Several electricians not to mention an inspector opened this box up and never said anything

Old 02-14-18, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
They were referring to the two conductors in a lug meant for one and the lack of overcurrent protection for the smaller wires.

Old 02-14-18, 02:27 PM
D
Originally Posted by pcboss
They were referring to the two conductors in a lug meant for one and the lack of overcurrent protection for the smaller wires.
Can you or someone point me in the right direction as to how it should be done? I'm guessing this is not a DIY project.

What's a likely failure scenario if I leave this as is? Because clearly nothing happened all these years.

Old 02-14-18, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
A loose or too tight connection or multiple conductors in that out can lead to improper torque on the connection and cause racing or excess heat and could lead to a fire. Regardless of how long it has existed does not mean it was ever correct.

Old 02-14-18, 02:53 PM
D
Originally Posted by pcboss
A loose or too tight connection or multiple conductors in that out can lead to improper torque on the connection and cause racing or excess heat and could lead to a fire. Regardless of how long it has existed does not mean it was ever correct.
Okay thanks. I will call an electrician regarding this.

Old 02-14-18, 03:06 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
ah. a great time to have an insulated torque tool.

TVSS= transient voltage surge suppressor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: