Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Grounding a TV Antenna Mounted Furthest Away (Opposite Corner) from GES?

Old 02-14-18, 11:22 AM

Hi,

I have attached a TV antenna to an exterior wall of our house and ran the coax through the door in the balcony to see if it works to bring in over the air broadcasts, and it does. Now that I know it works, I should set up a ground attachment for safety and need to penetrate one exterior location so we don't need to have the door open to make the connection. Thing is, this is the very farthest opposite corner of the house to the electrical service entrance, where the main grounding is.

I've attached a picture of the situation. There is a lamp that I can open up in the balcony to connect ground, or I can run a ground wire down to the water tap underneath the window on the first floor and ground to the water pipe. Is there any other option to consider that is better safety wise? I tried to research NEC some but can't tell what is my best option.

Thank you so much, and take care!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-18, 02:53 PM
Can't mount it on the other side of the house?

Old 02-14-18, 03:52 PM
Thank you for the response!

A 25' coax currently runs through the door to the TV. I have no idea how long of a run I would need to get it from the other side of the house to any of the TVs. The service panel is at the end of a 3 car garage, then there is the kitchen. The nearest TV would be on the far end of the den on the other side of the kitchen. To the Northwest side, probably the best place to put the antenna as NBC (Olympics coverage) comes from the Northwest at 342 per antennaweb, would be a formal living room and dining room, where there is currently no TV. Really long runs if I mount it on the other side of the house....

I originally tried antennas inside the house, but practically no signal when trying that.

I don't mind the looks, but just want to be safe...

Old 02-14-18, 04:28 PM
OK, just asking. RG6 is cheaper than #6 Cu.
And, with several TV's you might need an amp anyway.
LIghtning COULD hit the antenna, but its low and seems to be protected by the house.

I would prolly run #12 as direct as possible to the wire going to your service ground rod. From the TV mounting bracket, most likely.

Old 02-16-18, 08:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Note I couldn't do this at a customer's house, but if it were my house I probably would not bother grounding it. This is based on the fact that the antenna "mast" is far below the roof, eaves and metal gutters. A lightning strike that hits that mast will have blown a hole through 15' of house already.

Old 02-16-18, 08:18 AM
Run a #12 bare wire down to ground level and along the foundation (that is, outdoors as much as possible) to the existing ground rod. This wire should not have sharp bends (sharper than about 3 inch radius curves) or kinks in it.

The official way of grounding the antenna is connecting the new #12 wire to a special terminal strip (grounding bridge) in turn connected to the fat ground wire (grounding electrode conductor) going from the panel to a ground rod or to a water pipe.

While you can drive a new ground rod near the antenna, you need to interconnect that using a #6 copper wire running outdoors as much as possible to the existing ground rod.

You will probably get better reception with the antenna higher up.