Can I Fix This? Electrical cord/plug socket

Old 02-19-18, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I Fix This? Electrical cord/plug socket

I had a nice little mini fan heater. It worked brilliantly for me all winter keeping me warm. Just today I was trying to remove it from the power bar outlet (probably a mistake to plug that mini fan heater in a power bar...it probably needs a dedicated outlet or a power bar that can handle high power?) and it was completely stuck in there. Something melted which was why I could not pull it out. I pulled so hard that the wiring cord ripped off from the plug head/base itself.

I was wondering if there is any way to simply get a new plug head and solder or attached the wiring together as a fix? It seems such a waste to throw away the entire unit just because the cord is damaged. Here is a pic. Any recommendations on how to fix/re-attach the wires to a brand new plug head would be appreciate!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-18, 05:41 AM
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
This cap will work although it might be a bit large for that cord, check at the Big Box Stores for more options, also seems like there might have been a loose connection between that cap for it to overheat like that.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-...CCV4/202654015
Geo

Old 02-19-18, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
Replacement plugs are available. I would look for a heavy duty one. They open up and have screw terminals inside where you can attach the wires.

Yes, never plug a space heater into a surge suppressor or power strip. It is best to plug them directly into the wall. If you need an extension I would get a short refrigerator or air conditioner cord. They are heavier duty and have larger wire for carrying more current without overheating.

Old 02-19-18, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Ok, are they just called "replacement plugs"? or do they have a special name? I'll see if I can find one.
Do I have to match it to the exact same voltage/power rating or just as long as the plug meets the minimum requirement to be able to conduct "x" amount of power the mini heater uses?

Old 02-19-18, 08:19 AM
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
If it's 120V heater then buy a plug that's 125V with the same blade configuration. The listing on the plug or tag should say 125V 15A or 20A depending on the blade configuration.

Old 02-19-18, 08:44 AM
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
Cord ends come in a variety of configurations, so along with the other advice you want the new end to fit the cord properly, so I always measure that first and make sure that the replacement end is intended to be secured onto that size cord. That cord looks fairly "common", but you want one that is not too small so as to crimp the individual wires and not too large so as to strain the wire ends when you plug and unplug it.

Old 02-19-18, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 414 Votes on 387 Posts
Are you in Canada as your bio says ?
That is a European style plug and used on 230-240v circuits.

Name:  20180219_192000.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  33.7 KB