Two Dead Outlets in Laundry Room

Old 02-19-18, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two Dead Outlets in Laundry Room

I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to fix an electrical problem I have. I have two dead outlets in the laundry room and nothing else in the whole house, only these two outlets. I have checked all GFI and breakers, nothing wrong there. I pulled the outlets and checked for loose wiring, no problem there. What else could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-18, 07:19 AM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
I would check for voltage on the wires feeding the receptacles. If you don't have a voltmeter, you can buy one at your local hardware or big box for around the $20 range. Do you know which breaker they are on and what other devices share that circuit? Most homeowners probably would not, but it makes the job easier if you do. Are the wires screwed to the receptacles or pushed into the back of them. If the latter, remove them and screw them to the receptacle as back stabbed connections are not the best. Have you switched the breaker off, then back on again? Some breakers don't always appear to be tripped when in fact they are, so you can't always tell by simply looking at them.

Old 02-19-18, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Im not sure what else is on that circuit and I have tried to flip the breaker off and on but that did not work. I took the outlets out and the wires are screwed in and tight. I will try a multimeter tomorrow and see what i have.

Old 02-19-18, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Look in garage, behind furniture, bathrooms, outside. for hidden gfci. This is most common problem for dead outlets. I know you said you tried them but look again. Next I would look at the closest outlets to that room for loose or broken wire, Be sure all wires are under the screws and redo all wire nuts.

Last edited by pugsl; 02-19-18 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-19-18, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 380 Posts
If you knew what circuit those two receptacles were on and what.. if anything else... is on that circuit would make this job much easier. A priority should be to identify every device in the home and what circuit it's on in for cases just like this.