Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Breaker trips when microwave and dishwasher on at same time

Breaker trips when microwave and dishwasher on at same time

Old 02-20-18, 01:47 PM
S
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Breaker trips when microwave and dishwasher on at same time

Hi-

I am waiting for our contractor to get back to us but I wanted to get some info in the meantime. We just installed a a 1200 watt Sharp builtin microwave next to our dishwasher. The dishwasher and microwave are both plugged into the same outlet under the sink area now with 14 gauge wire. If we have the dishwasher running and the microwave gets to the very end as it beeps it always trips the breaker.

I asked the contractor about exactly this before we started and they said don't worry, no issues, blah blah. Now here we are with issues. I want to be able to use both of these without any problems not think about it ever again.

Please please tell me this is an easy fix. I have attached a picture of the breaker (#6) that trips. It is labeled as just "dishwasher".

Thanks everyone!

Microwave link.
R-651ZS Countertop Microwave: Stainless Steel 2.2 Cu Ft

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  19.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-19-19 at 12:53 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 02-20-18, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
You are Trying to run too much on one circuit. The DW should be on its own circuit. Depending on the age of the house the receptacles should be on a 20 amp circuit with #12 wire. A built in MW also requires a dedicated circuit. You have several issues.

Old 02-20-18, 05:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Curious as to how both the dishwasher and microwave on plugged into the same outlet. Can you post a picture of the setup?

Old 02-20-18, 05:48 PM
S
I attached a picture of the outlet. Is this something an electrician can run a dedicated line for?

Attached Images  
Old 02-20-18, 06:38 PM
D
Wow, that looks like a lot of violations

- Plastic water drainage pipe running on top of an outlet making full contact
- Outlet near water that is not GFCI
- Microwave not GFCI or AFCI

I’ll let the experts chime in but adding a new line means running new cable from breaker box all the way there. It being easy or hard depends on where the box is and how your house is.

You are running probably close to 30 amps on a 15 amp circuit. My microwave runs 15A constantly and dishwasher around 10-12. For a circuit breaker to trip, there has to be continuous overcurrent for long periods of time with these numbers (like 25 or 30 amps in 15 amp breaker). OR an extremely high current (like 100 - 125 amps for a few seconds). Point being, breakers are not like software, dont assume it trips as soon as it sees 16. You are running very heavy loads on those wires and their insulation is getting “cooked” and will eventually fail/melt. If I were you i would stop right now and not use them together ever.

Old 02-20-18, 07:38 PM
S
Fantastic. Iím gonna just go cry for a bit. Then some more after the Mrs. has at me.

Old 02-20-18, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,335 Votes on 1,234 Posts
It's not the end of the world but yes.... you need to have an additional circuit brought in from the panel. There is also no reason to have everything jammed in one common hole.

Your contractor mislead you.

Old 02-20-18, 10:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is not as bad as some painted. You do need a new circuit for the MW.

Old 02-21-18, 01:12 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
Do you not have any outlets around kitchen counter?
You have counter top microwave oven, therefore, you don't need to run a dedicated line for microwave oven.
If this microwave oven is installed on the microwave shelf, you or the contractor may be able to tap into one of the counter outlets and install microwave even outlet behind microwave oven.

There still is possibility of tripping the breaker if you run microwave oven and a toaster at the same time, but will be better than sharing 15A with dishwasher.

Old 02-21-18, 07:44 PM
S
thanks everyone. There are more outlets around. I have been trying to think how to shuffle things. Under the sink the next cabinet to the right is an outlet that runs the instant hot water heater and garbage disposable. Past that the next cabinet to the right of the sink is our second dishwasher that runs on a dedicated switch. yes, we have two dishwashers for some reason. i think one is kosher. its probably going to come down to what is cheaper, running a new line or tearing out one dishwasher and replacing with cabinets.

i need to get an electrician in my home.

can someone explain to me exactly how you run a new line from the panel once the house is built? we do have an open double breaker in the box but i just don't understand how it is even possible to run a new line. our basement is completely finsihed and there is no access to run something through the rafters from the garage where the panel is.

i should have been more careful. i kept asking him about this beforehand and i should have done more homework.

Old 02-21-18, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot will depend on the house construction. You may need to have access holes cut to run the cable and patch after.

Old 02-22-18, 09:25 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
How many outlets are above the counter? You may want to find out how may circuits are there and which outlets are on which circuits ,plug a lamp into an outlet and shut breakers off until you can identify each.
Geo

Old 02-22-18, 10:41 AM
M
How long ago was this work completed? Call the contractor up and let him know of the issue. If he set it up this way, he should be willing to fix any issues that result from his work.

Old 02-26-18, 10:45 AM
S
I have an electrician coming out in two week to see if we can run a dedicated line from the box in the garage to the kitchen.

The contractor just completed the work last week. I have not paid the other 50% of the bill but I am going to anyway. I don't need anyone putting a lien on our home. he shouldn't have said it was OK to plug both of these in the same outlet in the first place. He had to have known this wouldn't work.

Old 02-26-18, 11:13 AM
D
Originally Posted by sayluv View Post
I have an electrician coming out in two week to see if we can run a dedicated line from the box in the garage to the kitchen.

The contractor just completed the work last week. I have not paid the other 50% of the bill but I am going to anyway. I don't need anyone putting a lien on our home. he shouldn't have said it was OK to plug both of these in the same outlet in the first place. He had to have known this wouldn't work.
I wouldnt pay the contractor. This is unacceptable in my book. The way that outlet sits behind the hoses alone is a good enough reason.

Old 02-26-18, 11:22 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Is your home inside of Cook County? If yes then all the wiring is required to be in conduit. Pulling additional conductors or swapping a 15 ampere circuit (#14 conductors) to a 20 ampere circuit (#12 conductors) is a fairly easy job.

As for your garage receptacle (https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...et-garage.html) you also need conduit. I don't know for certain but I think you need metal conduit. I know that flexible conduit is usually acceptable.

Old 02-26-18, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
No, no, no! Don't pay him the rest until he fixes this! He can NOT put a lien on your house for this. No court of law will rule in his favor (well unless he's chummy with the judge that is). This is no different than if you dispute a charge on your credit card. You don't have to pay and they can't charge interest, until the matter is resolved.
If you pay him, he's got the upper hand and you're the one that'll have to take him to court at your expense, until you win.

Old 02-26-18, 12:51 PM
S
I need to update my profile. We moved from Chicago to Seattle. I have the contractor coming out as well to look at this kitchen issue before the electrician comes out.

No, I really don't want to pay him the rest of this, but I also don't have the energy to get into a prolonged battle with him. Maybe he will be a stand up guy and just get it fixed for us. I own my own business and when I things could have gone better then I do everything I can to make it right at my expense and I learn from it. I guess I am just jaded at this point, I can't say I have come across a lot of businesses that really go out of their way to fix their mistakes because they know at the end of the day people will usually just give up.

Old 02-26-18, 01:33 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
I wouldn't pay him. He has much more to lose by you reporting this unpermitted and uninspected work to the local building officials -- he won't pursue you. Keep that in your back pocket because they can cause you a headache too, but the last thing he wants is to involve the legal system in his racket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: