Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Whats the metal plate/brace that was installed with generator interlock kit?

Whats the metal plate/brace that was installed with generator interlock kit?

Old 02-22-18, 03:07 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the metal plate/brace that was installed with generator interlock kit?

There is a metal plate that is secured on top of the generatorís 50amp breaker that was installed as part of the interlock kit. Its always in the way when I m working in that part of the panel and I have to loosen ot to move the breakers on the opposite side. Whats the purpose of this thing? Can it be removed or anything I should know about? I already know its not live

Attached Images     

Last edited by PJmax; 02-22-18 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added 2 enlarged pictures
Old 02-22-18, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
Cannot see anything from the photo, but I suspect a breaker hold down so it cannot come off the bus and expose energized parts.

Old 02-22-18, 05:06 PM
M
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The interlock plate is a code requirement for when you have a generator connection that feeds into the circuit breaker box. Its purpose is to prevent the main and generator breakers from being in the ON position at the same time. The reason it's required is to prevent you from running your generator to light your home during a power outage and backfeeding electricity out to the grid, thus exposing electrical line workers to your generator's electrical output and possibly killing them.

LEAVE THE INTERLOCK IN PLACE.

Old 02-22-18, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,181 Likes on 2,856 Posts
I added two enlarged pictures to the OP's post.

The plate he is referring to is the generator circuit breaker hold down plate like pcboss mentioned.

Old 02-23-18, 04:18 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
I added two enlarged pictures to the OP's post.

The plate he is referring to is the generator circuit breaker hold down plate like pcboss mentioned.
Thank you for doing that, I appreciate it.

As I understand it this doesnt really have a critical function when generator is OFF. I guess the point is with this breaker since power direction is reversed you could potentially electrocute yourself if breaker comes off and you touch the metal parts under the breaker. And it looks like its safe to remove it when working on the panel and put it back on when done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: