electrical wiring question- finishing basement

Old 02-24-18, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electrical wiring question- finishing basement

So I have a large, open great room. There are a total of 19 lights on four different switches. The switches are in two separate 4 gange boxes with three way switches. Because there are so many lights, I decided to run two separate power feeds from the electrical panel to cover all these lights. My question is- is it legal to have two separate powered feeds entering a 4 gange box? I would use one power feed circuit on two of the light runs and the other powered feed on the remaining two light runs. I would keep each powered circuit separate inside the boxes. I just wasn't sure if that was allowed or not?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-18, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Normally you would use a multi wire branch circuit. That would be a 3 wire circuit with two hots and a common shared neutral. Running two independent circuits to that box is also perfectly acceptable. The hot and neutrals will remain separate. All the grounds are tied together.

When I know there is more than 1 circuit inside a box..... I write the two circuit numbers on the back of the switch plate.

In your case... you could write the circuit numbers down on both plates.

Old 02-25-18, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
It is perfectly fine to have more then one circuit in a box. In commercial I have seen over 40 circuits in a box, but that was a 6x6x48" gutter.