Rewire Outlet Assistance requested

Old 02-25-18, 10:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rewire Outlet Assistance requested

HI,

thanks in and advance and excuse my ignorance. i am, unsuccessful, trying add an outlet to this existing box in the home i bought. there was no outlet here just blue box and exposed wire (see pic). I was told this box was, at least one of the plugs in the outlet, is controlled by the switch in the hallway. the hallway switch has 4 switches. the hallway switch also controls the hallway lights and two ceiling lights. I am trying to use this new outlet; see pic.

1) am i using the correct outlet type?
2) how do i wire it?
-the copper wires get coiled together and attached to the green wire; correct?
-the white wires get tied together and then another short separate piece white wire is connected to the coil with a red screw cap and then connected to the neutral side of the outlet; correct?
-what do i need to do with the black and red wires??

if possible, i prefer to have the hallway switch control only one of the two plugs of the new outlet. but if not possible, that is ok.

thank you very much

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-18, 11:22 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to break the tab between the brass screws. Red wire to one screws. Black wire to the other black screw is the basic wiring. If another receptacle is fed from the box the two blacks are pigtailed to one screw.

Old 02-25-18, 11:47 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks Ray,

1) "You need to break the tab between the brass screws" (got it, thanks!)
2) "Red wire to one screws." one black screw or white screw?
# "Black wire to the other black screw is the basic wiring. If another receptacle is fed from the box the two blacks are pigtailed to one screw."-because there is two black wires i can assume that another receptacle is fed from the box? and by "pigtailed to one screw" you mean both black wires should be directly tied to one black screw or i need to do what is done to the white wires; use a little piece of black wire to connect two blacks and then connect with little piece to black screw?

thanks!

Old 02-25-18, 01:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The white wires by code should have had a white pigtail. For the black wires use a black pigtail.

Hot wires such as black and red go to the brass screws.

A pigtail is a 6"-8" length of wire the same size as the wires it is connected to.Color is dependent on code. Neutrals must be white or gray.