Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

New "Smart" Meter installed by United Illuminating (My electric supplier)

Old 03-09-18, 05:40 PM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts

February 24th I had a new "Smart" meter installed by UI.

No problems or bill increases. I just want to know how the meter was changed out so quick, I was only without power for 6 seconds how can they change it that quick? I have heard the term bypass (Horn?) but I am not sure of what that even means.

I live in an apartment complex and each building has 4 units so 4 meters (On each building, well some have 5 one being the outside lamp posts) so I don't even know which one is for the unit I live in. I can get a picture of the outside meter box tomorrow if it will help answer my question

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-18, 07:11 PM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
A have a "ringless" meter (no bypass) and when they changed it out there was no power interruption. They cut the tag, opened the box, attached two jumpers, swapped meter, removed jumpers, closed box, re-tagged. If they hadn't used jumpers it probably would only be 6 seconds like you experienced.

Old 03-09-18, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
If you had a bypass meter you would have experienced no loss of power. The bypass handle bypasses the meter.

Yes, it doesn't take hardly any time at all to change a meter.

Old 03-10-18, 08:58 AM
Received 87 Votes on 77 Posts
I have heard the term bypass (Horn?) but I am not sure of what that even means.

A horn bypass just makes it much easier to install jumpers around the meter.

Old 03-10-18, 04:25 PM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
If you were without power for six seconds, that does not make any difference compared with being without power for, say, 1-1/2 minutes.

Using jumpers (if possible) you would have no interruption at all.

Many meter boxes allow the old meter to be unsnapped (like a circuit breaker from a panel) and the new meter snapped in sometimes in about 5 seconds.

Sometimes there is not enough space for the technician to insert his fingers to install jumpers prior to unsnapping the meter.

Old 03-12-18, 06:53 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The meter just plugs in to the socket like a giant lamp cord. As long as the pan is in good condition and securely mounted to the building, the technician just needs to yank the old one out and plug the new one in. After doing a couple thousand of them I'm sure you get pretty quick.

Old 03-12-18, 08:36 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
I knew the meters plugged in like a "giant lamp cord" (PS: I love that analogy Lol!) but I thought they required a lot more force thus more time to do the switch. I guess I was wrong

Anyway here is a picture of the meter box.
There is main breakers under those covers on the main box (The one with the meters)

The other two small boxes I believe have something to do with the pull-string alarms/smoke detectors as when active there is a loud siren and a flashing lamp on top of each building.

Attached Images