Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I connect my 12 volt device directly to my ups battery?

Old 03-11-18, 11:18 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am a newbie at electricity, so not sure if this is commun knowledge, but I searched and could not find any topics regarding this.
I have a ups back up device, and from what I can see it is basically an inverter from 12volt to 120volts when the electricity is out.
I have a mini computer that has an adapter to convert from 120 volts to 12volts. My question is can I just tap into my backup device's battery cables which are already at 12volts and run that to my mini computer directly?
The reason for this is that I read somewhere that by doing this the batery back up can last for hours instead of minutes.

Any advice is greatly appreaciated!

Old 03-11-18, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

While that would certainly work..... on a power failure the 12v to 120v inverter would still turn on inside the UPS using up battery power whether or not something was plugged into the 120v receptacles.

If you do decide to connect to that battery.... a fuse MUST be used in the positive line at the battery.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: