Portable Generator over 120V

Old 03-11-18, 02:29 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Portable Generator over 120V

Recently purchased a Champion portable generator and having some issues. I tested the output voltage and getting 125V...this with no load at all...just the generator sitting there running and nothing plugged into it.

I have decent Cyberpower UPS plugged into the generator and it shows 125V too. This appears to be causing issue with the UPS and it is switching over to battery and not switching back. On house power, it shows 120V and it works as intended.

Is it possible, wise, etc. to adjust the AVR on the generator to bring its output down to 120V?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-18, 03:09 PM
T
Received 31 Votes on 30 Posts
125v with no load is reasonable for a small genset.
Can u measure its freq or rpm?

Old 03-11-18, 03:36 PM
P
Received 65 Votes on 52 Posts
Poor quality gen not producing clean power.

Old 03-11-18, 03:46 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I agree with pattenp, it is the harmonics and other electrical "noise" being output by that relatively cheap generator that is the problem, not the voltage. The UPS is "seeing" all that crap and saying, "Uh, no, not going to send this crap through, better stay on battery."

Old 03-11-18, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 929 Votes on 866 Posts
"Uh, no, not going to send this crap through, better stay on battery."
Most UPS units will not run on most generators. I have customers with large, expensive home generators and still have UPS issues.

Old 03-11-18, 05:07 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
My UPS runs just fine on my Yamaha inverter generator. Computers, television and furnace logic board is the reason I bought an inverter generator.

Yeah, it cost three times as much as a cheap gennie but it doesn't destroy my expensive electronic devices as will some cheap generators.

Old 03-12-18, 05:12 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
My UPS runs just fine on my Yamaha inverter generator. Computers, television and furnace logic board is the reason I bought an inverter generator.

Yeah, it cost three times as much as a cheap gennie but it doesn't destroy my expensive electronic devices as will some cheap generators.
I did borrow an inverter generator and my UPS was much happier, as was my pellet stove.
Looks like I might need to ditch my Champion and get an inverter generator if I want good, clean power.

Thanks all!