Switch with only 2 black wires

Old 03-14-18, 08:43 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Switch with only 2 black wires

I have just replaced all the outlets and switches in my house for cosmetic reasons. However, I am stumped on one switch. It is a switch that ONLY controls the ceiling fan in the family room. The only wires that were hooked up to the old switch were 2 black wires. Naturally I reconnected these wires to the new switch. And...nothing happened. No power. There are no other spots to put these wires, so Iím wondering how I can be doing this wrong. It is not a 3 way switch. Help! Thanks!

Old 03-14-18, 08:50 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
My guess is that perhaps one of the wires is loose, cracked or broken and got dislodged while you were replacing the device. Another slim possibility is the switch is bad. Maybe the breaker isn't turned on all the way -- sometimes they can be tripped and look like they're on.

Old 03-14-18, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A standard switch only has two connections for two wires. Pretty hard to get the connections wrong.

You either broke a wire at that box or lost power to the circuit.

Old 03-14-18, 09:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
Check to make sure the pull chain switch on the ceiling fan is ON.

Old 03-14-18, 11:22 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, here is some more info I just came across. I missed a switch for the back porch light that is the exact same scenario now. Only two black wires and no power since the replacement. It is nearby the switch for the previously mentioned ceiling fan. My knowledge of electricity begins and ends with how to replace an outlet or switch, so please donít feel bad talking to me like Iím a 2nd grader. What do I need to do to get these switches working?

1) ceiling fan cord is in the on position
2) switches arenít bad
3) breakers are all on

thank you for your time!

Old 03-14-18, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
An inexpensive analog meter would be very helpful to determine if there is power at that switch. A meter is very handy thing to have for basic diagnostic testing. The home improvement stores have them starting around $15. Without it we can only guess at the problem.

Gardner-Bender-14-Range-Analog-Meter-GMT-318/202867892

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: