PVC Conduit Not Allowed Outdoors?

Old 03-14-18, 02:15 PM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PVC Conduit Not Allowed Outdoors?

Hello All,

I am about to run power to my shed, nothing crazy just 3 wires (hot, neutral, ground) so I can charge my tools and such while they are in there and for lights. My plan was to run three #12 THWN wires from my attic, through a 3/4" LB fitting, through 3/4" PVC, to a PVC 90 degree elbow, to the underground section buried 18" underground (about a 10' underground run), to another PVC 90 degree elbow, to the vertical run of PVC, to another 3/4 PVC LB fitting that will put the wires in the shed. All together around 25' of conduit.

We have a maintenance guy around my work who overheard me talking to a co-worked about my plans and told me that this violated code. He told me that for the vertical runs that will be against the house that it is code that only RMC be used for vertical runs along the exterior of a house, which is something I have never heard before. He also said it was not an Arizona specific code, that it was a national, which implies to me that it would NEC because I don't think building code has a national standard.

Is he right? Do I have to use RMC for the vertical runs along the house or was my plan to use PVC everything okay?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-14-18, 05:15 PM
P
Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts
No, that is not a NEC requirement. The only requirement for PVC is if subject to damage it needs to be Sch80 instead of Sch40. Unless it's a local requirement the RMC is not required. There is an International Residential Building Code, but I'm not aware of that requirement for RMC in that code.

Old 03-14-18, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
Side note, the conductors must be in a complete conduit system. They cannot be run in free air inside the house or shed.

Old 03-15-18, 09:37 AM
Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
We have a maintenance guy around my work who overheard me talking to a co-worked about my plans and told me that this violated code.

Now you know why this dude is a maintenance man and not an electrician.

Old 03-15-18, 06:17 PM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah wonderful, I'm glad my PVC plan is up to code as I thought it was! Thanks everyone for the responses!

Old 03-15-18, 06:58 PM
A
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Another side note: PVC needs to be designed for electrical use, not plumbing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: