Should you Pull out old cable first?

Old 03-14-18, 02:50 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Should you Pull out old cable first?

Hello. I have to redo some 14GA 4W cable in a underground run of 60ft this weekend. If the old cable will pull out easy I will attach the new cable to old and pull as I did with the 20ft run that i did last weekend. But I think it is gonna be hard to do and may be better to just pull the old cable out with a nylon cable fish line attached to the old cable. Then use that to pull the new.

I guess I will shoot the white foam in the conduit and see how hard the old cable is too pull. If hard then I will pull the old out out first. So this might be considered a dumb question. Just wondering if anyone has pulled older cables out. It is suppossed to be harder then new cable. cause the slick grease drys up and sticks. I will get another fellow to push while i pull. Wondering if I may need to use a come along. And i will probally have to dig up about 9ft to eliminate one 90 deg bend.

I did the 20Ft run last weekend. Thought I could pull the old cable out without the slick foam, but i was way wrong. Was able to pull out the old after shooting the white foam into the plastic flexible conduit, but it still did not come real easy. The white foam supposed to be more slick then the green or orange stuff.

Old 03-15-18, 09:58 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, either way would be fine, what kind of cable are you reinstalling?
Geo

Old 03-15-18, 10:43 AM
T
Hello .....Its a 14Ga 4W flat cable that looks like romex. I think its called UF for underground use. I am replacing it with a stranded wired cable.

Old 03-15-18, 11:06 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What is stranded wire cable?.

Old 03-15-18, 12:44 PM
T
Hello. The cable wires need to be stranded to 40 small wires per each 14GA wire. Normal romex or underground cable has solid wires. The mini split AC does not work with the soild wires but does with the stranded. There is another thread about the mini split problems in the AC section.

So I have to pull new cable and take the old out, which never worked right or not at all.

Old 03-15-18, 01:00 PM
Well clearly the old cable needs to be removed, no matter which method you use, make sure the 40 stranded 14 is rated for WET/DAMP location, I would really like to know why these miniís need this specific wiring,I have done a few over the years and never had an issue with cabling, new technologies I guess.
Geo

Old 03-15-18, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
There are two previous threads discussing the exact type of wiring. We'll leave the type of wire in those discussions and just discuss the pulling of the new here. He's pulling what is the equivalent of our SJ/SJO type cable.

flexible-control-cable-conduit-allowed-nec-422-16-mini-split.html
mini-split-e1-communication-errors-caused-solid-wired-cable.html

I would pull the old wires out with a new string attached. This way you don't have the drag of the old and new at the same time. You should pour pulling soap in at both ends. The 90 directly below the conduit that comes out of the ground is where the issue are. The wires can actually melt into the 90's.

Old 03-16-18, 08:50 AM
T
Hello
Thanks for the input.
So, the 90 deg bends can be a big deal and digging up 8-9ft of conduit to eliminate one 90 bend is most probally worth the trouble. That's why i have a helper this time.

Thanks

Old 03-16-18, 01:26 PM
Try pulling first before doing any digging, why do more work?
Geo

Old 03-17-18, 01:38 PM
T
Hello if you ever need to pull cable out of conduit I think this is the stuff to Use.

I sprayed it in one end one end with the tube and it came out the other end of the 60 ft long conduit made the job pretty smooth. Hardly any digging required.

although I can't say I have a vast amount of experience in cable pulling.

K

http://www.kleintools.com/videos/how-use-foam-wire-pulling-lubricant

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: