Mounting Lightweight Track Light - What Box to Use?

Old 03-19-18, 03:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mounting Lightweight Track Light - What Box to Use?

I need to mount a fairly lightweight adjustable track light (4 lights) to the wall. I believe the weight is approximately 3-3.5 pounds. My understanding is that the round, old work Carlon boxes are not listed to fixture support. I thought that I had seen something about a 5 pound limit, but I can't seem to find that anywhere. I was thinking about possibly using an Arlington One box. It has 2 screws on the inside that drill into the stud. I'm not able to find any fixture support listed for it though. I'm not even sure if the location I wanted to use has a stud near it, but I guess I will have to compromise. A lot of the boxes I see mention the ceiling, but this is going in the wall.

This is the type of fixture I need to mount: https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp...-glec1518.html

This is the Arlington One Box: Arlington | F101 Product Information

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
The reason the box is not listed is because there is no way to guarantee the integrity of the ceiling material or its ability to support the box. You could use a fan brace with the spreader bar if no joist is available .

Old 03-19-18, 07:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
The reason the box is not listed is because there is no way to guarantee the integrity of the ceiling material or its ability to support the box. You could use a fan brace with the spreader bar if no joist is available .
Iím mounting on the wall though, not the ceiling. Thatís what confuses me. I donít think I can use the fan brace for this application. I was thinking about the Arlington One box, because it has two screws that go into the studs. I canít find anything saying that itís listed for fixture support. Is there an option that would work?

Old 03-19-18, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,186 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Although that box would probably be ok.... I'd recommend and use a smart box. It's a little heavier duty than you need but it would be guaranteed to support the weight. Since it's a 4" round box.... your fixture canopy should cover it fine.

Smart-Box-Adjustable-Depth-75-lbs-Light-Fixture-Support
Name:  box.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  5.0 KB

Old 03-19-18, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
A device box is rated for a fixture up to 6 pounds when used on a wall.