3 bulb vanity "bar light" - how to mount "outlet box"

Old 03-22-18, 06:16 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 bulb vanity "bar light" - how to mount "outlet box"

Hi.

Installing a small 3 bulb vanity bar type deal in a basement bathroom above sink and mirror. This little "bathroom" was built in the 70's I'd say and is more of a wooden "stall" around a toilet and sink and small shower. There is no drywall, but rather just some type of cheap wood wall behind the sink where they had an old fluorescent light mounted. There just a hole with an old nm 14/2 cable coming out.

My question is with the outlet box that it will mount to. Should I cut into the wood and install the outlet box inside rather than on top of the wall? If I install it on top of the wall of course the vanity bar will not be flush with the wall.

Do they have them with "wings" that I could anchor it in with? There's no stud behind the wood.

Thanks.

Old 03-22-18, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Some types of fixtures are the junction box and do not require anything besides a cable clamp to secure the cable to the backplate.

There are old work 8B boxes with wings.

Old 03-23-18, 12:36 AM
B
This on I got a HD and it shows a round junction box. I don't get it really. The thing is metal and has an inside where I could connect the wires and everything. Would it be safe without a junction box? I mean everything would be covered with wire nuts and I could put the connections inside the light, there's room.

Basically I think it's this light or close.

https://www.wayfair.com/TransGlobe-L...yABEgIBjfD_BwE

The only way a junction box would look right in my opinion is if it were sunk into the wall and then this light mounted over it, so that it's flush with the wall.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-23-18 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-23-18, 05:39 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
If that fixture has a metal back plate no box is required just a connector,or install a 4” round Old Work box.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...18RR/100404072
Geo

Old 03-23-18, 08:53 AM
B
It does have a metal backplate, but I don't see a place for a connector on it.

Old 03-23-18, 11:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There should be some kind of knockouts on the back plate of the fixture.

Old 03-23-18, 12:57 PM
Send a pic of the back of the fixture, there should be mounting holes there also
Geo

Old 03-23-18, 03:29 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
This on I got a HD and it shows a round junction box.
Doesn't your light have mounting slots for the junction box?
The one I got from had circular pattern slots from mounting on the junction box. Then a small hole at the center for running wires through.
The hole is crimped smooth so it won't nick the wire.
You will need regular rectangular junction box usually used for switches for outlets. Round old work box is too big and the light will not fully cover it.
Pull individual wires through the hole and make connection inside of the light fixture.

You may have to mount the light using anchors if the light doesn't seat flush against the wall.

Old 03-23-18, 04:28 PM
B
I took it back so I can't take a picture lol! I replaced it with a ceiling type light, but now I'm having second thoughts about the ceiling light not giving enough light off, especially near the sink.

Yes, this was a metal "bar type" light with 3 GLOBE type lights on it and it had an enclosure, or WAS an enclosure alone by itself I'd say. It had holes where the black and white wires came out, but I think in the instructions it said to affix it (and showed a picture) to an outlet box.

Is it code to just wire nut the two wires inside the fixture itself and then hang it up on the wall? Everything would be contained within it. Of course if someone wanted to rip it off the wall, I'm sure the wires would rip right out of the fixture though.

Old 03-23-18, 04:31 PM
B
I could set the outlet box inside the "wall", but I'm going to have to hack away at it and it's not really a wall, but rather two pieces of a thick plywood with a space in between it I think. It's more of a "stall" around a toilet and sink area than a real room.

Would it look funny with the outlet box on the wall and then the vanity bar mounted on it? It won't sit flush. So I HAVE to use an outlet box to follow code?

Old 03-23-18, 04:37 PM
L
I replaced it with a ceiling type light
Did you install it on the ceiling? You cannot install ceiling light on the wall of that is what wad done.

WAS an enclosure alone by itself I'd say. It had holes where the black and white wires came out, but I think in the instructions it said to affix it (and showed a picture) to an outlet box.
You are supposed to disassemble the light. If you remove rings around lamp holders, the enclosure will open. Not sure why the wires are sticking outside of the enclosure, but that is just how they assemble in the factory even when the wiring cannot be done onside of the enclosure. I have seen that in many different light fixtures. Perhaps it was done so they can test the light fixture in the factory.

Is it code to just wire nut the two wires inside the fixture itself and then hang it up on the wall?
Yes. But, you may still need a junction box. Especially if the light fixture does not have a hole for connecting a clamp connector.

Would it look funny with the outlet box on the wall and then the vanity bar mounted on it? It won't sit flush.
You have to cut the plywood and mount a junction box for it to be flush. You can surface mount it and still meet the code, but would not look right.

So I HAVE to use an outlet box to follow code?
If it has a hole you can mount a clamp connector (aka romoex connector), no. You use the fixture enclosure as a junction box.

Old 03-24-18, 12:01 AM
B
No I haven't installed the ceiling light and now have changed my mind and would rather have the wall mounted light in front of the mirror, even if it means I have to use a jigsaw (don't have one yet) to cut a hole to put the outlet box. The cable (nm) is still there from the old light coming out of a small 1 inch hole or slightly bigger.

I can't remember what the back of the 3 globe bulb vanity bar looked like since I took it back. It was about $15. It did have slots in the back panel that were circular but don't remember seeing a hole for a cable connector. There may have been though, can't recall.

Ok so I'm taking that I'm going to have to make a hole for an outlet box. how will the outlet box attach. There's no stud in this wall, but rather it's plywood I think.

Old 03-24-18, 04:24 AM
L

You can use this

Or use this.

There are flanges with hole at top and bottom. Just screw that flange on to the plywood.

Old 03-24-18, 05:34 AM
B
Great! wondering if the new light will cover those. I gotta go buy a jigsaw now!

Old 03-24-18, 05:42 AM
Cut that box in horizontally and the fixture will cover it, if you don’t already have a Jig saw check out the Osillatting cutter tools, I like it much better than a Jig Saw.
Geo

Old 03-27-18, 03:02 AM
B
Just bought a Makita jigsaw for $119 with a case.

Old 03-28-18, 06:43 PM
B
I completed the light today guys. Works great! Now time to fix up this old 1970s bathroom. Putting in new vanity, toilet, floor, wall board and paint.

First time using a jigsaw to cut the hole in the plywood wall for the outlet box for the light. My new Makita!

Attached Images    
Old 03-28-18, 07:37 PM
L
You could have used a smaller junction box. but as long as the light covers it is is good.

Where is rest of the wall. LOL

Old 03-29-18, 10:56 PM
B
Originally Posted by lambition
You could have used a smaller junction box. but as long as the light covers it is is good.

Where is rest of the wall. LOL
It's more of a "stall", not a room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: