Mobile Home Outlets on one side do not work

Old 03-26-18, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mobile Home Outlets on one side do not work

We live in a mobile home a 1970 one and most of the outlets work, but the ones in the living room and one of the lights in the kitchen do not work. Is there anyway to check the circuit breakers (without getting zapped)? We have checked the outlets with a receptacle tester and it showed nothing (did not light up).
Please help. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-18, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Mobile may have connections in walls. Do you know which breaker they are on. To check turn each breaker off and find what outlets, lights go off. Make a map of what you find. I find the problem look at the last working outlet on that circuit or the first dead outlet. Most outlets are wired in a line so look for one close to last working one. Look for burnt wires or loose connections.

Old 03-26-18, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
Mobile home receptacles are usually back stabbed by design with no other choice.

Name:  mhr.jpg
Views: 3095
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 03-26-18, 04:20 PM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
Along with what what pugs said about mapping your breakers, bear in mind that tripped breakers are not always identifiable as such. In other words they trip but the lever doesn't necessarily go all the way to the off position and the little red indicator is not visible. So while I agree with mapping your breakers regardless (as far as I am concerned it should be a done in every home and should even be a prerequisite to turning a home over to the next party), I would start by switching all of the breakers off, one at a time, and turning them back on , again, one at a time.

Old 03-27-18, 04:01 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
the ones in the living room and one of the lights in the kitchen do not work
I would suggest that maybe you look for a tripped GFCI receptacle. Although the lights in the kitchen should not be part of a SAC small appliance circuit it is possible it was wired this way. Check your counter top kitchen receptacles. Make sure they are reset. Also, check to see if you have one in the bathroom or laundry area. I would do this before you go doing anything else. It may be a very simple fix.

You should not getted zapped working with the breakers in the panel. The panel cover will give you proper protection if you are just simply making sure all the breakers are on. As mentioned, some breakers when they trip are not very obvious that they have tripped. They do not go to the full "off" position. Most times they may be about in the middle of "on" and "off". The way to tell is to wiggle them gently left/right. If there is far less resistance on one of the breakers compared to the others it is very possible that that particular breaker has tripped. The proper way to reset the breaker is to "push" the breaker all the way (may take a bit of force) all the way to the off position and then back to the "on" position. But I would check the GFCI receptacles first.

Also, has any electrical work been done in the house recently? I would not go and start pulling out any receptacles in this mobile home. They are usually self-contained devices and a real pain to work with.

Old 03-28-18, 10:23 AM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
We live in a mobile home a 1970 one and most of the outlets work..................

You most likely have aluminum wiring. Before doing anything, I'd recommend you check to see for sure if it is aluminum and report back. All suggestions received thus far should be put on hold till you confirm the type of wiring.

Old 03-28-18, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Reply previously covered.... not needed.

Old 03-29-18, 01:49 PM
One problem with this is, there are no GFCI's. How can you tell if it is aluminum wiring?

Thanks to all whom have replied thus far.

Old 03-29-18, 06:01 PM
The easiest way is to look are the exposed wire. Is the wire silver or copper colored?

Old 03-31-18, 10:14 AM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
How can you tell if it is aluminum wiring?

If the mobile home was really manufactured in 1970, I can almost guarantee it has aluminum wiring. Open the electric panel to see the wire ends easily. The bare ground wires are easiest to see and as previously mentioned, silver colored wires are aluminum.

Old 04-01-18, 10:42 AM
Hello again. It is aluminum wiring. So now what?

Old 04-01-18, 11:25 PM
Group Moderator
It's going to take opening every one of the defective devices and inspecting for loose/discolored connections. Aluminum wiring has it's own set of problems and you may be better off hiring an electrician.

Old 04-02-18, 06:28 AM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
I agree that aluminum wire is not ideal, but it is in a lot of homes, so, personally, while getting a price to replace it at some point might be good, I would not let that get in the way of finding out what is wrong with the receptacles that are not working, because I would consider running extension cords to compensate for a lack of receptacles a more immediate concern. So have you gone through and reset each breaker, and have you made a map, sketch, drawing or whatever of which receptacles, lights, etc. are on each breaker?

Old 04-02-18, 01:24 PM
No, we haven't done anything yet. Another problem came up that needed our immediate attention. Once we get that fixed (plumbing issue) then we are going to work on the electrical. We have turned them off and have figured out 2 of them, so far.