Adding light to split receptable switch

Old 03-26-18, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding light to split receptable switch

Hi all,
I have power coming into a light switch that controls a split receptacle. The setup is shown in the attached diagram. I would like to instead have the switch control a new wire for lighting above and was wondering if someone could point me to a diagram or explanation of how I would go from the attached diagram to one that turns the split receptacle into a regular receptacle + how the new wire for lights above would attach. Thank you for your time, it is appreciated!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-18, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Where are you going to tie in the new ceiling light ?
You will remove the receptacle in the first location where the red and black are attached. The new receptacle will not have the side tie removed where the screw connections are. Just the black will be connected.

The red wire at this point or at the switch is what will power the new light.

Old 03-26-18, 10:57 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
Depends on if the wire for the overhead light is being pulled to the switch box or the switched outlet box. If using the switched outlet box, unhook the switched red wire from the bottom receptacle and jumper the black from the top receptacle the bottom receptacle. Hook the red switch wire to new black from light and white from light to the white on the outlet. Be sure to use same size wire as used on outlet circuit.

Edit: If pulling new NM to switch box, disconnect switched red from switch and wirenut to blacks. New black from light goes to switch where switched red was connected and new white from light goes to whites.

Old 03-26-18, 04:11 PM
Thank you PJmax, pattenp,
I believe it will be easier for me to bring in the new light at the switch. So if I understand pattenp correctly, the end result should look like the attached? Changes I made are:
  1. (@Receptacle box) Buy a non-split receptacle and replace the split receptacle
  2. (@Switch box) Connect red to black wirenut collection
  3. (@Switch box) Connect light black to where red used to be
  4. (@Switch box) Connect light white to white wirenut collection
Is that correct? And by "Be sure to use same size wire as used on outlet circuit" you mean 14/2 romex wire?

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-18, 04:14 PM
And probably not as important, this new diagram looks like the red is redundant now?

Old 03-26-18, 04:31 PM
And just for final completion because I feel like I'm starting to get it, if I were to do the work at the receptacle box I would follow the attached diagram where I:
  1. Again buy a non-split receptacle and replace the split receptacle
  2. Detach red wire and wirenut it with the light's black wire
  3. Connect all the whites in receptacle box (4 total) in a new wirenut
All good?

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-18, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
If you replaced the receptacle with a non split new one.... the red wire would then be redundant. If you did that.... you'd just cap off the red at either end and tuck it in the back of the box.

Your diagrams are correct and you have gotten the idea.

Old 03-26-18, 11:31 PM
Thanks Pete. Last (maybe) question, what does the ground for the light connect to? Just cut off like the diagram?

Oh great so actually I can just leave the redundant red connected and instead not replace the split receptacle.

Old 03-27-18, 06:35 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
All grounds are connected together and hooked to outlets and switch. Your diagram showing the grounds not connected is misleading.

Old 03-27-18, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Many diagrams don't show ground connections as it makes the diagram too cluttered. It is assumed since you are doing electrical wiring that you know to connect the ground wires.