Outside outlets controlled by GCFI not working

Old 03-26-18, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside outlets controlled by GCFI not working

I have 4 outlets outside of my house all on a GCFI circuit that have stopped working. I have reset the GCFI in the basement that controls them, reset the GCFI breaker, replaced one of the 4 outlets and nothing has worked. The GCFI outlet seems fine - there are two things plugged into it and they are working fine. My circuit tester shows no power getting to those outside outlets. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-18, 01:00 PM
Received 32 Votes on 26 Posts
Use a meter and start at the breaker testing voltage down the line.

Old 03-26-18, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
First check to see if there is 120 volts to the load side of gcfi. If there is go to the next outlet in circuit and look for loose connections. Check all wire nuts and wires under screws. If ant outlets are back stabbed move them to the screws.
Also look in bathrooms and behind furniture for another gcfi outlet.

Old 03-27-18, 04:16 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
You have GFCIs receptacles on a circuit that is protected by a GFCI breaker? Should not be. You can be getting "phantom" tripping of the GFCI receptacle/s.

Make double sure that all GFCIs receptacles are reset. If you find any that do not reset that may be an issue causing you the problem. Be careful. Just because a GFCI does not reset does not mean there is no power going to the gfci receptacle. If you open the receptacle box and check the gfci it may still be live in the box. Also, GFCI receptacles will not reset if there is no power going to them.

Look around the house. Look for GFCI receptacles you never saw before. Meaning, behind bushes, stacks of boxes in the basement against the wall, same in the garage. I have found GFCI receptacles in places in people's homes they did not even know existed until they tripped and then called me in because half their circuit is out.

Old 03-30-18, 12:40 PM
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. AFJES, I have checked everywhere for additional GFCI outlets that could be on that same circuit that is giving me trouble and haven't found any. I have replaced all of the outlets (except the GFCI in the basement) that I know are on that circuit. Something you said in your comment though gave me a thought. Is it possible that even though the GFCI that controls this circuit, has power and resets, that it might not be sending power to the other receptacles on the circuit?

Old 03-30-18, 12:58 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is it possible that even though the GFCI that controls this circuit, has power and resets, that it might not be sending power to the other receptacles on the circuit?
Yes. You need to check the load side with a multimeter. You can't use a non contact tester.

tside of my house all on a GCFI circuit that have stopped working. I have reset the GCFI in the basement that controls them, reset the GCFI breaker
If there is a GFCI breaker all receptacles including the basement should be non GFCI receptacles.

With a multimeter, preferably analog, test the voltage at the breaker.

Old 03-30-18, 03:55 PM
I replaced the basement GFCI and everything's good now. Thanks again.