2nd new clothes dryer losing power help really stumped

Old 03-29-18, 04:30 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2nd new clothes dryer losing power help really stumped

Hi There

I just bought a new dryer because I thought my old (10 years) one had died. The new one is now having the same problem.

Problem: After it runs for a few minutes it makes a sound like it's losing power and about to shut off and then does shut off (Without tripping the breaker)

- Checked the outlet with a multi meter all good. Showing my 220 and 110s
- Hose was replaced in case there was a blockage
- It's two dryers now so I know it's not the unit
- The breaker for it has been in use for 17 years and has never tripped. (I know they wear out if tripped a lot)
- The original plug and wire same thing there for 17 years with no issue, nothing has hit it or damaged it.

Could this be a problem with the actual breaker in the panel, wire running from the panel or the plug?

For now I have shut off the breaker unplugged the dryer and I am considering replacing the outlet first, then test, then the wire to the panel (then test) Finally the breaker in the panel (then test)

Any feedback would be very appreciated, never had this happen before in 40 years of living in and then owning my own house.

Thanks

Old 03-29-18, 04:53 AM
S
Make sure the screws on the circuit breaker are tight.

Old 03-29-18, 04:53 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, does the vent go directly outside or into another pipe that could be restricted, also with the breaker off remove the dryer outlet and check for loose connections.
Geo

Old 03-29-18, 04:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Where are you located? In the USA and Canada you should be seeing something close to 240/120 volts at the outlet, not 220/110.

Old 03-29-18, 04:58 AM
E
The hose does go into a 1 foot piece of ducting but it's cleared.

Think I just figured it out more. The neutral hole on the plug is showing a reading far below 120 sometimes 19 sometimes others but always low. So I'm guessing it's the wire or plug or panel. Would that be correct.

Also, thank you to the respondents, much appreciated

Old 03-29-18, 05:17 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Then start at the source,check connections in the panel ie. neutral connection and at the breaker, take voltage reading there first, are you using an analog meter?
Geo

Old 03-29-18, 09:27 AM
A
Neighbor had this happen. There was full voltage at the outlet and breaker appeared to be fine. Solution was a brand new breaker.

I recommend you swap the breaker for a new one, they are cheap anyways (assuming non GFCI/AFCI).

-Austin

Old 03-29-18, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
It is very common to measure the proper voltage at the receptacle. Once the dryer is connected and the circuit is loaded.... an intermittent connection can cause the voltage to drop. I usually check for power where the power cords connects when the dryer is running.

This must be done carefully when live as there isn't much room to be probing in that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: