Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Induction Range / Double Oven - circuit and equipment needed?

Old 03-30-18, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I've scoured the internet and found some answers to my question...but not to my satisfaction...so I thought I would ask here. I am purchasing a GE slide-in range with an induction cooktop and double oven. This is replacing an older range. I currently have a 50 amp circuit breaker for this device (yes the wire is 6 awg). The manual for the new oven says I should use a 40 amp range cord. It says I can use a 50 amp range cord, but it has to be "marked for use with nominal 1 3/8th diameter connection openings". I don't know what that means exactly? I find this all confusing because there are no 40 amp receptacles. I purchased a new 50 amp receptacle, and feel like I should be able to buy a 50 amp range cord and just call it a day. Or should I use a 40 amp range cord and change my breaker to 40 amp, leaving the 50 amp receptacle in place? Any answers would be highly appreciated, as I want to make sure I do this correctly. It just seems like all the numbers don't match up so it is a bit confusing. Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-18, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Your search is right in that there is no 40A cord or receptacle. Standard sizes go 15A, 20A, 30A, 50A. The proper size to use for that range is a 50A receptacle and cord set.

Whether you have a three-wire or four-wire circuit will determine if you need the 11-50 configuration or the 14-50 configuration. The manufacturer installation instructions will also have wiring notes for either three-wire or four-wire circuits inside the range wiring compartment.

Old 03-30-18, 01:45 PM
Hi Ben...thanks for the quick response. They actually do make 40 amp range cords. They do NOT make 40 amp outlets however. The installation instructions say a 40 amp range cord is required, and that a 50 amp range cord is "not recommended". That's where I am confused. It makes me feel like I should use a 40 amp range cord, and swap out my 50 amp breakers for 40 amp breakers.

Old 03-30-18, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Actually.... there are 40A cords available but they fit a 50A receptacle. You can use that cord on a 50A receptacle and change the breaker to a 2P40A.

Old 03-30-18, 03:43 PM
Hey Pete...thanks. I think that's what I'm going to do. I wanted to avoid changing out the breaker but it's an easy (and inexpensive) thing to do so what the heck. I appreciate the feedback and advise!

Old 03-30-18, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Put the breaker in the parts bin for future use.

Old 03-31-18, 01:45 PM
Will do that for sure...thanks Pete!