Cutler Hammer Breaker

Old 03-31-18, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutler Hammer Breaker

My kids just bought a house and it has a Cutler Hammer breaker box. I am in the process of adding a
15 amp breaker, but all the Eaton and Cutler Hammer breakers I have seen so far have a tab on the
breaker that keeps it from clicking in on the busbar. Am I just looking at the wrong type of breaker
or is this tab meant to be removed? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-18, 02:21 PM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Is it the one with tan colored handle? That will be type CH.

Are you installing a tandem breaker?
Not all positions of the bus bar can take tandem breakers and have a rejection tab to prevent installation.

It will be shown on the panel's diagram.

Old 03-31-18, 02:29 PM
Ok I just read where these are rejection tabs. Yes this is a tandem 15 amp breaker for a mini split air conditioner. The box currently
has two openings, should I just use two 15 amp individual breakers going to the ac cut off?

Old 03-31-18, 02:36 PM
should I just use two 15 amp individual breakers going to the ac cut off?
Does it require 240V circuit? Then, NO.
Tandem breaker does not give you 240V in the first place. You need a 2 pole breaker, which takes up 2 single breaker spaces.

Also, if your cutler hammer panel has pegs on the bus bar, it is older discontinued style panel. It will be very hard to find exact replacement for it.
You can fit newer cutler hammer breakers in them by removing a bar in the middle and haven't heard of any issue by doing so. But, it is probably illegal since it is not a approved modification.

Old 03-31-18, 02:45 PM
Electrical Requirement for Mini Split
230 V. 1 Phase 60 Hz
Max Breaker Size
20 amps

Old 03-31-18, 02:51 PM
Yes you need 240V and you need a 2 pole breaker not tandem. And you need 2 spaces to install one.

Old 03-31-18, 03:03 PM
I can't find a 15 amp two pole breaker anywhere in town. I did find a 20 amp Eaton two pole breaker at my local home depot, so I plan on using this breaker and using 12/2 with ground to the cut off. Will this be ok? Thanks

Old 03-31-18, 03:57 PM
I did find a 20 amp Eaton two pole breaker at my local home depot, so I plan on using this breaker and using 12/2 with ground to the cut off. Will this be ok?
Is that Eaton Cutler Hammer Type CH breaker? Then, yes, that will be fine. Any other Eaton breakers will not work.

Old 04-01-18, 07:54 AM
Checked all the other Eaton breakers in the box and they are type BR. Found a BR at home depot and was feeling good until
I went to put it in. I have two slots available directly across from the main breaker. Went to snap in and it goes in perfectly but it is
not really tight, I can pull it back out with one finger. Is this spot adjacent to the main breaker supposed to stay open ? The breakers in the box currently are all black so I don't think it takes CH.

Old 04-01-18, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by BrentTurner View Post
Checked all the other Eaton breakers in the box and they are type BR. Found a BR at home depot and was feeling good until
I went to put it in. I have two slots available directly across from the main breaker. Went to snap in and it goes in perfectly but it is
not really tight, I can pull it back out with one finger. Is this spot adjacent to the main breaker supposed to stay open ? The breakers in the box currently are all black so I don't think it takes CH.
If it takes Type BR, it would be very easy to find a replacement breaker. It was originally Bryant (what BR stands for) and Cutler hammer acquired it, then Eaton acquired cutler hammer.
Type BR can be pulled out with one finger. What holds the breakers in place is the cover.

All slots on the bus bar should be usable as long as there is space to clip the breaker on and the cover has opening for it.

Old 04-04-18, 10:46 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
it is not really tight, I can pull it back out with one finger. Is this spot adjacent to the main breaker supposed to stay open ?

Check the diagram on the panel label. My guess is this space is not suitable for a circuit breaker. Just because there may be twistouts on the cover over these spaces doesn't mean you can install a circuit breaker there. Panel covers/doors are made to cover a variety of different panels.

Old 04-05-18, 04:01 PM
Ordered the correct breaker 15 amp double pole BR and tried it today in the open slots and it is a no go. Honestly
it looks like one of the connectors on the bus bar is short and the breaker doesn't latch onto it. So next option
installing a sub panel. I plan to get a 100 amp sub panel and power it with 60 amp breaker, I will have to move over a
couple of 15 amp breakers in the main box to make room for the 60 amp breaker. So I will only have 2 15 amp breakers
and a 15 amp double pole breaker in the sub panel. Is 6 gauge wire with a neutral and a ground appropriate to run
from the 60 amp breaker to the new sub panel? Boxes will be side by side. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by BrentTurner; 04-05-18 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-05-18, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the panels are connected with a metal nipple ground is optional but you can use a #10 for a ground. Both hots and neutral would be #6. You will need a ground bar in addition to the neutral bar in the subpanel. Bonded ground bar and isolated neutral bar. A main lug panel can be used for the subpanel since no disconnect is needed because both panels are in the same building.

Old 04-05-18, 05:58 PM
Before jumping to the conclusion you need a sub panel, let's make sure you really have no more room for additional breaker.

Post picture of the panel, and diagram on the panel.

It may be possible to replace some breakers with tandem breakers and make a room for double breaker.
There is also a option of quad breaker which allows 2 2 pole breakers in 2 breaker spaces. It is not cheap, but will be cheaper than a sub-panel.

If you do plan on adding more circuits later, then it is good idea to install a sub-panel now.

Old 04-05-18, 07:08 PM
That was one of the first things that I looked into, but this Cutler Hammer box doesn't have any slots that will accept
a tandem breaker. The tandem Eaton Breakers have a rejection tab and none of the slots will accept these. I pulled every
breaker and looked and also looked at the diagram on the door. No luck

Old 04-05-18, 08:05 PM
There are tandem breakers without rejection tab designed to use with old panels that did not have rejection feature.
If your panel allows tandem breakers, you can use these breakers.

The ones with rejection tabs are actually called Type BD instead of Type BR. True type BR tandem breakers don't have a rejection tab.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-20...2020/100153768

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-15...1515/100121768

The descriptions says "BR duplex circuit breakers are a replacement breaker for enclosures manufactured prior to 1968 with un-notched stabs"

These breakers will fit and work even on the panels that doesn't allow tandem breakers, but this does not mean you can use them. Make sure your panel allows them first.

Old 04-06-18, 09:59 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
The descriptions says "BR duplex circuit breakers are a replacement breaker for enclosures manufactured prior to 1968 with un-notched stabs"

That is correct. The BR tandem breakers are actually a non-CTL tandem breaker and will fit the modern panels that are not listed for tandem breakers, but to use a non-CTL tandem breaker in a modern CTL panel is a code violation. I frequently see the use of non-CTL breakers in modern CTL panels and called cheaters because they can easily circumvent the UL Listed number of circuits a panel was designed for. Sadly, I see few inspectors who pick up on this.