Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Electrical panel looks like a rats nest - unsafe or just sloppy

Electrical panel looks like a rats nest - unsafe or just sloppy

Old 04-01-18, 01:00 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical panel looks like a rats nest - unsafe or just sloppy

was about to add a branch circuit, and like in panel for first time since moving in a few months back. Looks sloppy, but I a, also seeing neutrals in a grounding lug, multiple nuetrals in single slot of bus bar, and a bunch of neutrals pigtailed in a wire nut and run to a single space in neutral bar. Also I counted 44 circuited (although 3 are breakers with nothingness g attached). <br /><br />Am am I missing something, but this is not correct. Was considering adding 100 amp sub panel and cleaning this up. One concern I had was a marking in the panel that said 50amp max breaker opposite neural bar. Is that to say amp breaker for sub panel, or just not next to the neutral bus bar?<br /><br />cutler hammer 200 amp panelc<br /> installed in 1983

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-18, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
When you have that many circuits in a panel they tend to get pretty full of wires. I wouldn't say it is sloppy, it is just is what it is. It is not unsafe.

However, multiple neutrals under a screw it no OK. There should be only one wire per screw. Grounds can be two wires of the same size per screw. If you need more neutral wires spaces you can install a ground bar (Or two) and move all the grounds to the ground bar(s).

That panel is also likely only rated for 40 or 42 circuits.

Old 04-02-18, 05:35 PM
D
Thanks - any thoughts on the marking about 50amp max breaker opposite the neutral bar.

also in liue of a ground bar they have one lug with about 30 ground wire tied together and the it is screwed into then panel. I was thinking I should add a ground bar, my concern is that the ground wires will not reach if they were cut. I think the answer is yes, but any concern with how they have done the ground.

Old 04-03-18, 04:20 AM
Received 67 Votes on 63 Posts
Hi, grounds under 1 big lug was common many years ago, you can add ground bars and any gounds that are short can be lengthened using wire nuts, still not going to much to neaten that panel up, you may be able to shorten up or lengthen some of the branch circuit conductors to the breakers and neaten the panel some that way, ONE conductor at a time.
Geo

Old 04-03-18, 12:12 PM
D
thank you - i was more concerned with safety of the way the grounds are currently being run - but sounds like this may have been a common practice.

Obviously i need to get the neutral that is tied into the single lug moved for sure - but perhaps not a priority to add the ground bar for the grounds under the single lug.

There are bunch of branches that were added about 2 years ago as part of remodel by the previous owner. These all have the neutrals tied together and run with jumper to the neutral bus bar. my plan was to move this cluster of cables to a new subpanel, Fortunately these are at the bottom of the current panel, so there is plenty of extra wire, if i move to the top of the subpanel

Old 04-04-18, 11:05 AM
Received 84 Votes on 74 Posts
I'd call it extremely sloppy. It also looks like a 40 circuit panel with about 45 circuits.