Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Run of 75-80Ft needed for a 20 amp circuit- Is 12 Ga or 10Ga needed?

Old 04-04-18, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm running a dedicated 20Amp outlet(120V) to the other end of my home, 75-80Ft from the breaker box.

The only thing on this circuit will be a 1800W Flash Dryer.

I am a bit unsure if I should go with 12/2 or 10/2 since the run is about 75-80 feet from the breaker box.

I will be using UF-B wire since its going under the home to the destination. I would like minimal voltage drop.

My plan was to run it from a 20A breaker under the home directly to the outlet. I'm not sure if 10GA would fit on a 20Amp outlet- or if its overkill- On another thread I read that 10 Ga would be needed- and some people said 12Ga would be fine ( But their scenario was different than mine with the load). The flash dryer is rated for 1800W and stays on constantly ( 15 minutes or so) until its heated- then its load drops to just maintaining temperature.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-18, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
You'll be fine with 12ga wire. As a general rule, voltage drop doesn't have to be considered for any run under 100'.

Old 04-04-18, 10:27 AM
Received 32 Votes on 26 Posts
If this is a crawl space under house that is typical wood frame construction ( wood floor joist) the wire needs to be run along joist or on running boards or through bored holes in the joist. NM-b can be used.

To support Zorfdt, #12 is fine for the 1800W load at that distance.