Single gang, double switch half works?

Old 04-06-18, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Single gang, double switch half works?

Hey there, please bear with me as I am a plumber and will most likely use terms that make sense to me but are quite incorrect when it comes to electrical.

So I have an existing (Leviton) double switch in my bathroom controlling my light and ceiling fan. Just recently, when I went to switch on the light (top switch in this case), the ceiling fixture was flickering and I could hear a clicking sound in the switch. I tapped the switch with my finger and the light went out. The fan switch still works normally but I can no longer control my light.

I went to take a look in the box to see if I could see any loose wiring or maybe a short, but couldn't find anything. It is also a little more full than any wiring diagram I was able to find for a similar switch. From my understanding this switch is in series with the bathroom and hall plugs. Most wiring diagrams I found show either one source and one load cables (two wire) or one source, one load and one more going to plugs in series. I have 4 two wire cables coming into the single gang box. Each has their neutral wire meretted together and their hot going to one of the 4 terminals on the switch.

I have rambled, so I guess my question is, is it possible for one of the switches on a double switch to work while the other does not? If so, do I simply need to replace the switch with another similar type? Is there anything I should know?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-18, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

is it possible for one of the switches on a double switch to work while the other does not?
Absolutely. There's a lot of stuff packed in that switch.

You have 4) two wire cables. All neutrals tied together.
One cable is power in.
One cable is power out.
One cable goes to the light.
One cable goes to the fan.

You'll find the two power cable black wires on the common side of the switch. They will be connected to each other. The black light wire goes to one switch and the black fan wire to the other.

This is a typical switch. You'll see the two hot wires are connected thru a metal bridge on the switch. The opposite side is the light and fan.

Name:  ds.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  13.7 KB

Old 04-06-18, 10:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A duplex switch is simply two switches on one yolk. It is possible for only one of the switches to go bad.

I have 4 two wire cables
A black=Power in
B black=Power out to Fan
C black=Power out to Light
D black= Power out to another load

On the new duplex switch there will be a tab between the two switches on one side. That tab is not removed. A and D go to the side with the tab. B goes to one of the screws on the side with no tab. C goes to the other screw on the side with no tab.

When removing the old switch you must be careful to mark each wire.

Old 04-07-18, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much. I went out to find a replacement switch and the only one I was able to find only has 1 hot terminal. Can the power in and power out black wires be wired to the same terminal? Or should I attempt to find a different switch? Thanks again.

Old 04-07-18, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
You can wire the hot in and hot together and add a short piece of wire (tail) to go to the switch.
There are switches available with two hot connections.

Old 04-07-18, 11:03 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts