Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing Electrical Box - Best Way to Pull NM Cable Through Push-In Connectors

Old 04-08-18, 08:19 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've been replacing the electrical boxes in my kitchen. I removed the soffits and have been rerouting the cable through the top plates. Since I'm adding a backsplash, I thought it would be easier to just install adjustable boxes (rather than using box extenders). Is there an easy way to pull the cable through the new box? I'm using the Arlington One Boxes, which have push-in cable connectors. I have no issue when the jacket isn't already stripped. The problem is that the push-in connectors seem to pull against the individual conductors. This caused the insulation on one of my wires to get nicked. I ended up just pulling a whole new cable. I tried wrapping the conductors in electrical tape. This works okay, but it adds a lot of time. Is there a different connector that I should use or a better way to do this?

Old 04-08-18, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I find it is easier to strip the cable jacket off before inserting the wires through the connector. The connector should be installed from the outside of the box or it will grab onto the wires/cable as it is inserted in the connector. IT also can be helpful to shove a screw driver through the connector before inserting the cable(s).

Those black connectors are my preferred type for NM cables installed in 1/2" KO's.

Old 04-08-18, 08:43 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
I find it is easier to strip the cable jacket off before inserting the wires through the connector. The connector should be installed from the outside of the box or it will grab onto the wires/cable as it is inserted in the connector. IT also can be helpful to shove a screw driver through the connector before inserting the cable(s).

Those black connectors are my preferred type for NM cables installed in 1/2" KO's.
I will have to try the screwdriver trick. I actually ripped the insulation on one of the conducts when I pulled it through. Maybe the NM connector was too tight? The jackets are already stripped, since I'm replacing an existing box.

Old 04-08-18, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Loosen the clamp with the screwdriver slightly before sliding the cable in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: