Extend / reposition outlet

Old 04-08-18, 07:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extend / reposition outlet

Hi folks,

Sometimes the easiest questions are the hardest ones to find answers to. Iím assuming this is a pretty easy one.

I have a normal outlet about 6Ē above the floor. I want to disconnect it and extend the outlet up the wall to go behind a flat panel tv.

Can I just disconnect the three wires from the existing outlet and wirenut them to more wire to get them up the wall a few feet? I donít need the existing outlet to work anymore if that makes any difference.

I just wasnít sure if the solution was as simple as Iím making it, or if there was something special that needed to be done to extend wires.

Oh, and weíre talking about 14 awg wire here.

Thanks!

Last edited by John Palatzo; 04-08-18 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Early
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-18, 07:49 PM
A
All splices must be done in an electrical box. You cannot simply extend them with wire nuts inside the wall.

I suggest you add an additional outlet, keeping the current one, and going off of it

Old 04-08-18, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
The lower receptacle is probably needed to satisfy the required spacing.

Adding a receptacle above the current box is easy if the existing box has space for an additional csble. If not the box needs to be replaced with a larger box.

Old 04-09-18, 02:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you familiar with the dual recessed boxes that provide separate spaces for your receptacle and your low voltage wiring? Example: https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-TVB.../dp/B003E48COU

And an even easier way that plugs into your existing receptacle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAU5GX6/ref=emc_b_5_t

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-18, 10:35 AM
J
Austin Block said: "All splices must be done in an electrical box. You cannot simply extend them with wire nuts inside the wall. I suggest you add an additional outlet, keeping the current one, and going off of it"

Thanks. Sorry if I was unclear, but I intended on splicing the extension wire inside the existing outlet box since there's enough room.
------------------------------------------------
pcboss said: "The lower receptacle is probably needed to satisfy the required spacing. Adding a receptacle above the current box is easy if the existing box has space for an additional cable. If not the box needs to be replaced with a larger box."

Thanks. Yep, I wanted to do the splicing inside the existing box.
------------------------------------------------
ray2047 said: "Are you familiar with the dual recessed boxes that provide..."

I actually saw those in Home Depot yesterday. Not a bad option. For the new outlet that i was going to install, I bought one of those outlets that has surge protection built in. The kit at home depot only had a typical outlet and not a surge protected one. Also, in that picture you embedded below, it shows the lower outlet as being beneath the tv. I forgot to mention that my outlet is below the tv, but it's on the other side of a shared wall. One side is the kitchen, other side is the TV room. So I don't have an outlet there to plug into....unless I move the outlet to the other side of the wall.

Last edited by John Palatzo; 04-09-18 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Updates
Old 04-09-18, 12:31 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
but it's on the other side of a shared wall. One side is the kitchen, other side is the TV room.
By code you can't use a kitchen receptacle.

Old 04-10-18, 11:19 AM
J
Ok, thanks...I didn't know that. And that's why I come in here in the first place :-)

So if I'm not going to use that kitchen outlet, I could try that kit that you mention below. Instead of plugging it into a nearby outlet, though, I'm assuming it's fine to plug it into a surge protector that I have on the floor, right?

(Just to give a little more history, we have a small entertainment center underneath the tv. There's an outlet that's just to the right of the entertainment center and visible (arg). But because there is no outlet behind the entertainment center, I have the surge protector plugged into that outlet. It's a little sloppy, but the only way around it is to move that outlet a few bays to the left. I could do it, but I'd have to open up the sheetrock. Yuck.)

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-18, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
I don't see an issue with that.