Installing new switch - 3 black wires to 2 connections

Old 04-10-18, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new switch - 3 black wires to 2 connections

Hello, I'm upgrading switches in a condo with newer Decora switches and plugs. I was working on the kitchen yesterday and ran into a roadblock. The garbage disposal wall switch has three black wires - 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit. Two of the wires are backstabbed and one is curled around the bottom screw. (I'm not sure if this matters, but this garbage disposal switch is in a double outlet box with a plug that has six,12g wires - 2 red/2 white/2 black. I needed to buy upgraded backwire Decora switches to accommodate the additional wires in all of the kitchen plugs.)

The new switch only has two screws and will not accept a 12 gauge wire backstab. I'm aware of "pig tailing", and I was going to connect two of the wires together, but I'm unsure of which two wires I can safely connect together? I don't want to cause a fire. Is there a way for me to confirm which two wires can safely be pigtailed together? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-18, 08:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You connect together the two wires that were on the same terminal of the old switch. (Terminal being a screw and the associated backstab.)

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-18, 08:46 AM
Thank you for your reply. Just to confirm, I would pigtail the lower backstab and the wire wrapped around the lower screw and then connect the single wire to the lower screw? Lastly, I would take the upper backstab on the old switch and curl it around the upper screw on the new switch? Thank you.

Old 04-10-18, 09:46 AM
I would pigtail the lower backstab and the wire wrapped around the lower screw and then connect the single wire to the lower screw?
Yes.

I would take the upper backstab on the old switch and curl it around the upper screw on the new switch?
Yes. .

Old 04-11-18, 12:22 PM
Hello Ray, I want to thank you so much for replying to my post and confirming which two wires could be safely pigtailed together. I purchased the short piece of 12g wire today and completed the repair. Everything is in working order - no issues. Thanks again! I really appreciate your time. Have a great day!

Old 04-11-18, 12:28 PM
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.