Adding Additional Power to Room

Old 04-15-18, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Additional Power to Room

Hello, I turned my oversized Master Bedroom/Master Bath into a small, short-stay, efficiency studio apartment. I have one wall with a full size fridge, a microwave, coffee pot and toaster oven. There is no full oven/stove or sink in this small kitchenette. However, it throws the breaker in that part of the house when they use a combination of these appliances. This master bedroom is on the backside/inside of my garage wall. I have electrical outlets on each wall in this room for a total of 4 outlets all on the same run. I have separated my appliances via extension cords around the room to take the load off but no success. It seems when they use the microwave and toaster oven at the same time, it throws the breaker. My question, is there anyway I can come from my garage GFCI(closest) with an extension cord to pick up additional power? It is about 20 feet total away(making corners and a 'good to the eye' layout) from the garage outlet to the kitchenette counter back wall(floor) through my fully open crawl space. I also have another outlet(normal) across the crawl space at about 25 feet that could be a direct run to pick up an additional power source. Behind counter space, I have a start hole in the floor where the old cable cord was and just make it bigger for the extension cord plug head. Also, I have two outlets in the master bath, 1 GFCI, both 'not' on the same circuit but don't want cords coming/going/hanging vicariously from these outlets. What would be the best way to do this without bringing in an electrician. Their truck rolls here start at about $150 before they do any work. Was hoping I could accomplish this myself. I could not find any threads, in good time, on my question. Thank you for all your good help here!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-18, 04:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
By code the kitchen requires two dedicated 20 amp GFCI protected circuits. The bathroom requires one dedicated circuit.

is there anyway I can come from my garage GFCI(closest) with an extension cord to pick up additional power?
No. Extension cords are for temporary use only and can not be used in place of required wiring.

Old 04-15-18, 04:40 PM
Thank you ray2047. I agree about the cords. Can an electrician add a GFCI outlet for me without breaking into walls? Can he pick it up from the garage GFCI with a wall surface run of romex and make a stapled run through the crawl space? Bring romex up through the floor and mount a GFCI junction box just above the baseboard? Or does he need to come from electrical service box in the garage? It is the same distance, just on the opposite garage wall. Can he do a home run from the electrical service box to GFCI junction box with romex and have a good outcome? Forming those corners would be about 25 feet from electrical box. Thanks!

Old 04-15-18, 05:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
For your kitchen they must come straight from the breaker box. IF there is access from below or above cables can be fished through the walls without opening them.

Old 04-15-18, 06:20 PM
Thank you! I will get a bid on it.