LED in low voltage landscape lights

Old 04-18-18, 06:43 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED in low voltage landscape lights

Hello,

I have Malibu low voltage landscape lights that have been nothing but a problem, light bulbs keep burning out and connectors for "pig tails" keep corroding. I plan to "waterproof" the connectors, but would like to know, if I switch the low voltage push-in sockets with candelabra socket, will an LED bulb work on the low voltage?

Thanks,
Larry

Old 04-18-18, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
The LED lamps (bulbs) need to be designed for voltage that they will be used on. So your landscape lighting is likely 12 or 24 volts, the LED lamps will need to match that voltage. Look at the nameplate of the transformer to find the output voltage.

Old 04-18-18, 06:53 PM
L
After looking around for a week I just found the LED bulbs I think will fit the low voltage system. But, wasn't sure if regular E12 LED bulbs would work on a low voltage system. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-19-18, 04:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
E12 bulbs are 120 VAC. Your low voltage system is 12 or 24 VDC or VAC and will not work with those lights. As Tolyn already mentioned you need to find bulbs that match the voltage of your lighting system.

Old 04-23-18, 04:22 AM
L
Thanks. I didn't think it would work to switch the socket due to low voltage, but wasn't sure. I just bought some watertight junction boxes for the connections (pigtails) and found 2 pin LED bulbs I think will fit.

thanks for your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: