Garage Electric Heater Wiring

Old 04-19-18, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Electric Heater Wiring

I am trying to a install a 240v 5000 Watt Garage heater. This heater is meant to be hardwired, except I have no room left in my electric panel. I do have a 240v outlet that I had installed for a electric car that is about 25 feet away. Currently I don't have a electric car so the outlet is not being used at all. The outlet is backed by a 60 amp breaker.

Question is can I just run a 10/4 power cord with a NEMA 14-50 plug to the outlet? Is there any risk in doing this. If and when I get a electric car again I can get a subpanel installed.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-18, 09:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
can I just run a 10/4 power cord with a NEMA 14-50 plug to the outlet? Is there any risk in doing this.
Other than burning your house down if there is a short, no (maybe unlikely but not impossible). You need to change the breaker to 30 amps or install a breaker panel. If it is meant to be hard wired it should be hard wired. Or you could also leave the receptacle as wired with a 60 amp breaker and install a 30 amp fused disconnect next to it then a 30 amp receptacle (NEMA 6-30).

can I just run a 10/4 power cord
Why 10-4 cord? You only need 10-3 for 240 volts (two hots and a ground). Or 10-2 NM-b if hard wired.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-19-18 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 08:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I'd probably pull a 10/2 cable from the heater back to the panel. Unhook the unused 60A car charger circuit breaker and replace that with a 30A breaker for the heater. That way if/when you upgrade the panel each one can get a proper circuit.

An other option would be to replace the car charger outlet with a 60A subpanel (as long as the feed is four wire). Then you can run whatever you want from the garage panel.