Convert coax cable coming out of wall into an outlet

Old 04-21-18, 09:41 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Convert coax cable coming out of wall into an outlet

I have a coax cable (for cable/internet) just coming out of the wall, like this picture shows. The end is male, intended to go right into the TV/modem/cable box. The cable is actually quite long, at least 10 feet or so. I'd like to cut it and convert it into a wall outlet, or at least cut it to just an inch or so and cap it with a female end. I don't plan on using the cable and my previous method of hiding it with furniture conflicts with wife's furniture rearranging plans. Most guides I found online were all about installing a coax outlet from new wiring. Can anyone make a recommendation of how to do this? Products or guides I can follow?

As a side note, the cable (I believe) goes directly outside, and from there wraps around the house and connects to our outside cable junction box. The point is - I'm not sure just stuffing it into the wall is an option. I think the slack would go outside.

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-18, 10:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Use an old work low voltage electric box and a blank cover plate. You can probably just shove the wire into the wall

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-18, 06:57 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...5041/206415713

You can also use this bracket.

I don't know why there are such a bad review on this at home depot website, but never had problem with it.
To secure this bracket, you can take a medium sized channel lock and squeeze the tabs against drywall.

Old 04-21-18, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You could just cut the end off and pull it out of the house.

Old 04-22-18, 11:31 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would use the low voltage box posted below and install a coax cable face plate. This will allow you to cut the cable to the proper length and save the excess in case you need it later to hook up a coax cable to the outlet. Coax cable is very easy to work with if you have the proper tools like the kit shown below. HD sells these tools.

Attached Images   
Old 04-22-18, 11:39 AM
Be aware not everyone uses the same display mode so making reference by saying posted below will actually refer to items above for those who use "oldest to newest" display mode. Best to give post number.
"

Old 04-22-18, 11:47 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047
Be aware not everyone uses the same display mode so making reference by saying posted below will actually refer to items above for those who use "oldest to newest" display mode. Best to give post number.
"
I was referring to the low voltage box in post number 2.

Old 04-22-18, 02:07 PM
Thank you for the clarification.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: