Removing an aluminum nm cable that goes up to first floor

Old 04-21-18, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing an aluminum nm cable that goes up to first floor

I have a Kaiser aluminum cable that runs up to where I believe an AC used to be ( the breaker is labeled AC 1). The cable is black and has green lettering and I believe it's from the 1970's.

Anyways, I can see where it terminated in the unfinished basement and then goes up behind the outside joist and a foot or so up to an outlet on the first floor in this small 1971 ranch of 900 sf.

How could I go about fishing a modern nm-b cable and getting rid of this old aluminum cable?

I think I can do it, but am wondering what I should use to try and "fish" the line up.

If the old aluminum is somehow stapled in behind the wall, is it ok to leave it in there after successfully running the nm-b?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-18, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
If the cable was installed after the building was finished you can probably fish a new cable . If it was installed prior it will be stapled to the studs.

pull the new cable in and then secure the power and remove the cable from the panel. Cut off any accessible cable.

Old 04-21-18, 07:51 PM
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
If it is not easy to fish new cable, just keep the aluminum cable and pigtail copper wire using Alumiconn. Only issue with aluminum wires is where is is terminated. There will be no problem in the middle of the run.