3 way switch

Old 04-22-18, 04:07 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way switch

I am replacing light switches. They r 3 way. I'm used to black, white, and red. One switch usually has all 3 the other 2 black and a red... The ones in my house have 2 black and a red... How do I figure this out? The switches I'm putting in has black, white, and red for one, the other is supposed to use red and white only...

Old 04-22-18, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Wiring colors in a three way circuit mean very little.

Three way switches have a dark/black screw that is the common terminal. Whatever wire comes off the old common terminal MUST go on the new common terminal. The other two wires are the travelers and make no difference.

If you are installing smart switches.... they ARE NOT a plug and play installation. You must know where the line and load connections are in the circuit.

If you are lost.... you need to post a picture of the wiring at each end so we help you identify the wiring. The primary switch needs neutral.

How-to-insert-pictures

Old 05-19-18, 02:40 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Be careful, don't read so much into the wire color. Grab a meter and test the wires yourself. Do not trust the color. Just because its red does not necessarily mean it is your Hot. Identify where the wires are coming from the assess which wires you will use. If you have to run new wire so you aren't so confused I would just run new wire so you know exactly what is going on with your switches in your house. OR call an Electrician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: