15A garage outlet triggered all the time

Old 04-25-18, 02:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage GFCI outlet trips 15A circuit breaker all the time

Hi guys. I have a problem I would like to remedy. I have GFCI outlet in garage that is on 15A breaker and 14GA romex. I have no clue what else is on the circuit as I believe the circuit was added by the previous owner of the house. Problem is that the 15A breaker gets triggered all the time. I wanted to add another circuit to the garage by adding 20A breaker and running 12 GA romex from the box to the garage. Problem is I have no slots left in the main breaker box.

Question is. How do I find out what else is on the 15A circuit that is being triggered. Subsequently is there an option to replace the 15A breaker with 20A breaker without running 12GA wiring. Lastly is there any way to reshuffle/combine the breaker box and make space for another breaker?

The box and the breakers were made by Schneider Electric Square D company.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-18, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You can only connect #14 wire to a 15A breaker. If you require a 20A circuit you will need to run new cable.

A GFI receptacle won't trip the circuit breaker. A short will. If the GFI receptacle is in the tripped mode.... the short would be between there and the panel. If you don't think it's tripped.... you would need to remove the LOAD cable, if there was one, to determine if the problem was after the receptacle.

That panel is full. You'll need to set a sub panel if you need more circuits added.

Old 04-25-18, 04:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
To find out what is on the problem circuit turn off that breaker then go through the house checking for things not working. Test outlets and lights and don't forget to check outside outlets and lights.

Old 04-25-18, 05:06 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
If you choose to add a circuit, you can replace a 2 pole breaker with quadplex if your panel allows it at that slot. Need to see the diagram on the door to be sure.
I see a quadplex breaker already on top right.

It is not cheap, but will be cheaper than adding a sub panel.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-Ho...reaker/3467915

Something like this.

The panel looks very full and you may not have enough space left on the neutral bus bar.
Might have to install a ground bus bar and move ground wires over to make room for a neutral wire.

Old 04-25-18, 06:28 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Just making sure I have this right.
You have a garage with just with just 14-2 wiring and a 15 amp. breaker?
Been through this a hundred times,
Trying to cheap out they go for the minimum required to meet code.
Most codes will call for 12-2 and one GFI outlet.
Useless in most cases.
Your going to add lighting, door opener, outside lights, most often at some point someone is going to want runan A/C, a welder, power equipment, often times 240 volts.
Just make more sence to me to run #6- 4 wire, to the garage to a sub panel.

Old 04-25-18, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Builder won't pay for adding a panel for something that might happen. Electricians aren't going to install for free.

Old 04-26-18, 03:32 AM
A
Received 162 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Important - is this an attached or detached garage. If detached you can only have one circuit going to the garage.

Also, looking at the breaker panel with the cover on (do not remove it unless you are comfortable in doing so) there is no way to tell that all of the breakers that are in there are actually being used. It is very possible that if a circuit was moved etc that a breaker may have been left in the position and there is no wire going to it presently. You will not know for sure until the panel cover is removed. Again, do not remove the cover unless you have experience doing it or feel confident enough doing it safely.

Old 04-27-18, 01:42 AM
Thanks all who replied. I did not ignore you I just need to check my settings as I was not getting notifications of your replies. Now back to the issue;

Since this is an attached garage, and I have crawlspace underneath where I can pull wire from the main box to a subpanel in garage, I will go that way.

Can anybody give me any advice on what type and what size of cable to run between the boxes and if I need to use conduit and if yes then what type?

Old 04-27-18, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whether you need conduit or not depends on local rules and if the cable would be subject to physical damage .

The size of the circuit will depend on what you want to run .

Old 04-27-18, 05:58 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
15 amp minimum #14
20 amp minimum #12

Old 04-28-18, 10:09 PM
OK. So I decided I will do the subpanel in the garage. Tell me if I am on the right track;

#6 cable will run from main to sub: Southwire SIMpull 6-AWG Stranded Red Copper THHN Wire (By-the-Foot)

Subpanel box: Square D Homeline 24-Circuit 12-Space 125-Amp Main Lug Convertible Plug-On Neutral Load Center

Conduit: Liquidtight Flexible Non-metallic Conduit (LFNC) (By-the-Foot)

Is there anything else that I need to do the job? I do appreciate you guys are patience with me. Thanks.

Old 04-28-18, 10:56 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
That is not cable but is what you need. You will need two black (or one red and one black)#6, one white #6, one green #10 and a 60 amp DP breaker. If you put the sub next to the main you can use a metal nipple between them and not need a ground.

Old 04-29-18, 06:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will hate trying to pull into liquid-tite flex conduit . I would suggest another type of conduit .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: