Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Just found out my 1971 house has some electrical violations

Old 04-30-18, 08:19 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

First, my bathroom outlet is not on its own circuit, let alone a 20 amp circuit. I'm wondering how this happened in particular.

The place where we now have the fridge is no longer on a dedicated circuit, but we've had no problems. Should I have a new circuit run just for that place where we now have the fridge?

The disposal unit is not on it's own circuit.

The 20 amp circuit that runs the 20 amp GFCI on the kitchen countertop extends to 3 outlets in a sun room off the kitchen. Not sure if this is ok.

Old 04-30-18, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The code changes and evolves . Changes happen every three years. Your house pre-dates the code requirements like 20 amp bathroom circuits. It is not retroactive however .

Old 05-01-18, 04:32 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, refrigerators need not be on a separate circuit , by code, but most are except mine ,new condo and refrigerator is on the the SA circuit.
Geo

Old 05-01-18, 11:17 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcboss
The code changes and evolves . Changes happen every three years. Your house pre-dates the code requirements like 20 amp bathroom circuits. It is not retroactive however .
Would it be worth it to run a 20 amp to the outlet?

Old 05-01-18, 01:23 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If someone in your household makes heavy use of a hair dryer in that bathroom, it may be worth it. The biggest inconvenience with this is when both bathrooms are on the same circuit then wife and daughter are both running hair dryers at the same time and trip the breaker. If you don't have that problem I wouldn't bother.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: