Remote control USB Fan

Old 05-01-18, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remote control USB Fan

Hey, I have a reciever that is getting too hot and I wanted to make a usb fan remote control. I also wanted to set it up with my logitech harmony remote so it had to be IR. I was thinking about using a led light strip pass through. But the only one I found was a DC 12v IR Remote passthrough. If I used a 5v regulator in between the fan and DC 12v passthrough, would this work? I was also wondering, since the infrared remote control unit has a dimming function, will this blowup the regulator or something? Is this set up will not work, is there any thing that would? The reason I’m not buying a remote control fan all in one is because I spent a lot of money on my home theater equipment and I’m on a tight budget right now lol. https://www.getfpv.com/diatone-5v-50...hoCkgQQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Remote-.../dp/B014EZ4M0K

Last edited by Sam14; 05-01-18 at 01:29 PM. Reason: forgot links
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-18, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 378 Votes on 355 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with remote control .

I commercially install receivers and equipment in racks. I use fans that have a thermal sensor in them. The hotter they get the faster they run. Very basic and perform well. The fans run in the $20 range.

A receiver is designed to run under optimal conditions. Why is there a heat problem ?
Is it installed in a sealed cabinet ? Maybe there is too much speaker load connected.

Old 05-01-18, 06:11 PM
What I’m trying to do is to get a remote control interface that I can plug into my USB fan that will allow me to turn it on and off remotely. The Remote control dongle will get DC power from a AC to DC adapter that plugs into the wall, then I would wire in a 12v to 5v step Down circuit that I will wire the fan up to. I can program this with my universal remote because it has an infrared reader on the back of it. I saw in another forum that any receiver needs at least 4 inches above it. I’m not sure if that’s completely true. The amplifier rack I have my receiver on has 2 inches above it, open sides, and open back. Do you think they will be any heating problems? All of the speakers match the impedance rated on the receiver. Where can I buy one of these fans that you were talking about. It sounds like a far better option than this.

Last edited by Sam14; 05-01-18 at 06:13 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-02-18, 02:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Look up the AC Infinity AIRPLATE Here is a thermostatically controlled option

Old 05-02-18, 06:19 AM
I was looking at the cooler guys kits. I don’t have a cabinet so could I mount it directly to the receiver?

Old 05-02-18, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 378 Votes on 355 Posts
The CoolerGuys have some neat stuff.
Coolerguys-Cabcool1201-Cooling-thermal-Theaters/dp/B001BEV1H0

Everyone's making fans.... Cabinet Fan | eBay