MC cable screw-in connectors don't fit

Old 05-03-18, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MC cable screw-in connectors don't fit

I have a new 250' roll of 3/8" "MC-Lite" 12-2 with green ground, and a box of screw-in connectors as shown, also 3/8," along with a proper rotary cutter for this cable so I'm not hacksawing, bending and wire snips cutting the stuff leaving ragged ends, but trying to get these screw-in connectors into the ends of the cable is like they are not the right size.
Forcing one to screw into the MC cable spreads the coils open in not a good way, I've used these connectors before with no problem, anyone have any idea what the story is with this?

Attached a photo of the specific cable and the box of connectors, maybe some brand/make incompatability here or do I just need to FORCE the connectors in a lot harder than I think they need to?

Like I said- doing so seems to spread the coils apart on this cable, I didn't have this issue on previous uses on the same type MC cable.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-18, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Those connectors are for 3/8" flexible metal conduit, not for MC (Metal Cable) cable. Cable is an assembly of conductors with an over all jacket. Conduit is a raceway you install conductors after the raceway is installed. You need the proper connectors designed for MC cable.

Examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arlingto...ST-2/100131416

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/fl...ip-connectors/

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-03-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Not a big fan of snap in connectors but they are ok to use. I like the locknut type.
You can also get them in duplex if you are running out of KO openings.

RACO-Flex-and-AC-MC-3-8-in-Saddle-Connector-50-Pack
Name:  raco-conduit-fitting.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  17.6 KB

Although they are not required by code..... I personally use redheads (plastic bushings) with MC cable. It only takes a second to slide in and offer protection from possible sharp MC cuts.
Flexible-Metal-Conduit-FMC-Anti-Short-Bushing

Old 05-04-18, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the responses!

That's what is confusing, because they both look the same except for the one already having the conductors installed and the other doesn't, unless there's a slight diameter difference between the two, why does this screw in connector work in one but not the other?
The nice thing about these is they are inherently "anti short", no red bushings needed as they screw in and eliminate that sharp edge at the cut ends of the MC.

Old 05-04-18, 12:17 AM
Same here, I prefer the locknut style, got a box of the saddle connectors on order, along with the anti short bushings now, should get them in a few days.

Old 05-04-18, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Anti short bushings are not required with MC cable. Only AC/BX.

Old 05-04-18, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Yes.... that is what I posted.