Questions on wiring in an unfinished basement

Old 05-03-18, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions on wiring in an unfinished basement

Hello,

I recently tore down all the wood paneling in my basement and this is what I found. On some of the outlets they just ran straight romex cable (w/ ground) from one metal box to another. I believe this is very old romex because it just has the cloth sheathing over it and not the tough exterior that modern romex consists of. As you can see in the picture, this particular wire has the sheathing removed and I want to replace it ASAP. I have some 12/2 NM-B w/ ground romex wiring so I am planning to use it to replace the old cloth romex wiring. My question is can I run this 12/2 NM-B w/ ground wiring in a conduit? If so what kind, do I use EMT? Would I use the 1/2" conduit? Something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AFC-Cabl...-AFC/205070934

Or should I be using something else?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.. Thanks!

Name:  wire.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  34.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-11-19 at 09:56 AM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-18, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Is the basement dry or dsmp? If damp you would need to choose another wiring method .

Conduit is normally not needed. Are you finishing the walls again ?

Old 05-03-18, 09:01 PM
Basement was recently waterproofed so it is very dry now. I do not plan to put walls back up, I am going to just paint the blocks and leave it unfinished. The main reason I want conduits is because I have cats and I don't want them messing with the bare wire on the ground. Is there any danger in using the 1/2" aluminum conduit I posted from home depot? I definitely want to replace the wire as well since the sheathing looks to be missing from the picture I posted. I figured I would use the 12/2 NM-B with ground since I already have it unless you are saying that type of wire is not up to code.. will that be an issue since the basement is dry? It has had romex for the past 50+ years when the wood paneling was up..

Old 05-04-18, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
I do not see any wire in your photo that has the insulation removed. Instead of buying cable armor and running wires/cable inside I would just buy MC cable which already has the armor on it.

Old 05-04-18, 04:59 PM
Hi Dane, its a bit hard to see in the picture but right next to the green on the white pipe, the sheathing is gone on the wires and the white/black wires are visible because the cloth protection is gone. I did look into the MC cable however it is going to be a lot more expensive. I already have the 12/2 wire so it's a sunk cost.. I will just need to buy the conduit for about $25. I believe the same MC cable is going to run me $75-100. Is there a benefit to using the MC cable aside from the simplicity? I mainly just want to know if it will be a code to put the 12/2 in a EMT conduit. I've read mixed opinion on the subject.. I did read you can run the romex wiring in EMT given it is not a "damp location." This particular line comes in off the breaker and connects 4 metal outlet boxes together. I would like to replace all the wiring to ensure it meets code now that the walls are down and it will remain unfinished. Thanks!

Last edited by SamAlex; 05-04-18 at 07:19 PM.