Wiring for garden pathway lighting

Old 05-04-18, 02:46 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring for garden pathway lighting

New to this forum and looking for some advice.

I am looking to install garden pathway light, around 8 separate lights, on separate light posts.

I am planning to bury SWA cables under the ground and run the cables along the pathway, under the ground. But I will need to have 8 three-way junctions boxes, one each for the pathway light. These cables will be connected to RCD protected sockets.

My question is - Can I bury the three-way junction boxes, under the ground as well? That will mean only the wire for each light would be coming out of the ground, at 8 different places, for each of pathway light.

All suggestions/advice gratefully received.

Old 05-05-18, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Note: This is a mainly US site. Wiring methods and codes will vary in your location.

If these are not ground posts (IE: low to the ground) you should be able to run the cable going in and the going out inside the post. Then make your splice to the pole light inside the pole. This is how it is done in almost all parking lot pole lighting. Your project is basically the same, just on a smaller scale.

Just make sure that the wires/splices are accessible in case something goes wrong and you need to fix it. Accessible means you can get at it by removing an access cover or light on top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: