Trying to update to a 3 rocker switch

Old 05-08-18, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to update to a 3 rocker switch

Hey all hope you can help. I have 3 switches that run a fan/light , shower light, and a vanity im my bathroom. The switches are very old and I believe the vanity light is burned out. I want to switch it out with the three rocker but the wiring on the old one is very weird. There are three blank switches. Going from left to right. the first and third switch seem to be wired together on the top post but not on the bottom.the middle switch seems to be alone and has black on top and bottom Wiring. Any ideas will be rewarded with worship

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-18, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Thread moved to electrical forum.

Can you post a picture or two of what you are working on there ?
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 05-08-18, 07:32 PM
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
There are three blank switches. Going from left to right. the first and third switch seem to be wired together on the top post but not on the bottom.the middle switch seems to be alone and has black on top and bottom Wiring.
There really is nothing weird about it. 1st and 3rd switch is powered by the same source (circuit) and 2nd probably is being powered by a different circuit.
Just wire new switches exactly as the old one was wired and it will work just like before.

Old 05-08-18, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for the quick response all and moving the question to the correct place. rookie mistake. It s a hot mess in there. House was built in the 50's. I think this was updated in the 80's

Attached Images   

Last edited by Yophix; 05-08-18 at 08:09 PM. Reason: adding more info