NMB in walls to UFB underground? how to meet them?

Old 05-10-18, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NMB in walls to UFB underground? how to meet them?

Ok I am digging a trench from one corner of the house at the panel to the opposite corner at my basement. I already have the walls built/wired and taped up besides one sheet where power comes in and I finally want to finish the room so I need to solve this.

I have done some searching and it's hard for me to find exactly what I want to know so I am going to post what I think I need to do here and what I still don't know. Let me know if I;m wrong anywhere please and also if you could help me out with the rest that would be cool.

I am using grey PVC "LB" conduit bodies at both ends with just enough conduit to get me into the dirt, through a sweeping 90 and then going direct burial. Few questions on that.

1. Fill rate isn't enforced if the conduit is only to get the wire from the ground to the wall, right?

2. is the small built in nipple enough sticking into the wall?

3. I run UFB into the wall and start the NMB at the first receptacle/Jbox, right? or can I bring the NMB out to the conduit body outside? I think its the first one but if it is to run the UFB into the wall do I need to leave a service loop or anything in the conduit body or just pull the wire through tight?

4. Basically same as 3 but not sure if it would change being at the panel, can I just run the UFB right into the wall and up into the panel?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 02:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Use a short piece of PVC conduit to go into the wall.
No service loop.
Yes, you can use UF-b inside.
Conduit bodies unless marked with cubic volume can't be used for splices, most aren't. You can use a weather resistant junction box instead of an ell.

Old 05-10-18, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. So I assume I could ditch the conduit fitting at the wall on both ends in favor of some water resistant boxes and install receptacles as well in both boxes with some outdoor rated plates/covers? Figured the first one could be free from the receptacle inside the garage almost right on the other side of the wall from the placed conduit exit. Other side I would wire inline with the circuit going into the room? I figured I'd install a GFCI but in such a way that the room won't go dead if it trips.

If it's a dumb idea I'm fine not having the receptacles I have one on the upstairs deck right above the new room and the one inside the garage is right around the corner from the other planned one.

Old 05-10-18, 05:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Receptacles is fine. Only the one outside at the house needs to be GFCI if the rest are fed from the load side. Doing it that way reduces minimum burial depth to 12".