Questions around adding a new subpanel to my house

Old 05-11-18, 11:10 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Questions around adding a new subpanel to my house

I currently have a main panel that is rather full and I'm debating on what to do next. I'm looking at giving my attached garage a makeover and part of that includes adding subpanel with 220 service for welder (Miller 211), 1 circuit for the lights (9 Maxlite LED 4' Double T8 fixtures,) and 1 circuit for outlets.

We have a 1500 square foot house with finished basement, electric dryer, gas stove & water heater, attached garage and detached garage (with a 50 amp subpanel). We live in Iowa.

I want to setup my garage for future use too and hopefully help with resale value. I'd like the service in my attached garage to accommodate a car charger also.

Do I use more tandem breakers to give myself space or do I need to get a larger box?

Here is my current 150 amp main breaker.

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-18, 11:28 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
That big red breaker is known to have a high failure rate (Crouse-Hinds/Murray/Arrow-Hart brand). You should consider a panel/service upgrade. Then you also have option to go to 40 spaces or more. Going to 200amp probably not needed but wouldn't hurt.

Old 05-11-18, 11:31 AM
I
If I wanted to go to a 200 amp service, I would need to call my electrical provider and have them run new service. I can't simply change that can I?

Old 05-11-18, 11:40 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Without an exterior disconnect you can't easily do much on your own. Lots of times the feed to the property stays the same going from 100 to 200. The meter box and the feed from the overhead would normally need replaced.

Get an electrician to come out and give a (hopefully free) quote. They can tell you what the options are as there are many factors that can't be seen remotely.

Old 05-11-18, 11:45 AM
I
I live in a small community and we have our own municipal utilities. I'll contact the electric department (2 guys) and ask them about things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: