Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

GFCI Tester - Dim Orange Light - Reversed Hot/Neutral When Button Pressed

Old 05-11-18, 11:35 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I was checking all my electrical outlets with a GFCI tester. All outlets show correctly wired. Came across one outlet (non-GFCI) where the right orange light is dim. Googled and found that it may be poor ground.

Strange thing is when I press the button on the GFCI tester, red light and middle orange light come on indicating reversed hot/neutral. All other non-GFCI outlets don’t give this result when I press the button. All other outlets have two orange lights remain lit.

Any thoughts what might be going on with this outlet?

Last edited by new_diyer; 05-11-18 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Title too vague
Old 05-12-18, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
You have no grounding path to the device. You need to open the box and remove the device to see if there is a ground available.

Old 05-12-18, 04:48 PM
G
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
This only makes sense if the middle orange is also ON before you press the button.

In that case what Tolyn said is right. When you press the button, a small current is passed from hot to ground to trip a GFCI, but if your ground is not grounded, it would float and carry a voltage/current sufficient to turn on the red light that sits between ground and neutral.

That's a good trick question. I have to draw a diagram to figure this out.

Old 05-18-18, 12:22 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I opened up the boxes as well as follow wires in the attic. Found the culprit in a junction box inside the attic— ground wire was loose. Reattached the ground wire and problem solved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: