NEC code guidance

Old 05-13-18, 07:24 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NEC code guidance

I am in the planning stage for a complete kitchen reno and need some guidance understanding the electric code requirements. Note that I am not a licensed electrician, but I am an experienced DIYer who has upgraded a meter socket and service panel as well as wired several bathrooms. I research extensively prior to beginning work and permit jobs as required to ensure NEC 2017 compliance.

I have 11 breaker spaces available in my 30 space, 200 amp service panel. Based on my current understanding of code requirements, it is going to be a tight fit. The ideal configuration would require 1 more slot than I have available:
  1. microwave
  2. range hood
  3. garbage disposal
  4. dishwasher
  5. refrigerator
  6. receptacle circuit #1
  7. receptacle circuit #2
  8. overhead lights
  9. cooktop (pole 1)
  10. cooktop (pole 2)
  11. double wall oven (pole 1)
  12. double wall oven (pole 2)

There are a few possible solutions in order of preference.
  • Option A: If I understand 220.55 correctly, the cooktop (9.6 kW) and wall oven (7.4 kW) can be on the same circuit.
  • Option B: If code allows it I could combine some existing circuits to make more room. I currently have 2 circuits for outdoor outlets. The garage and unfinished basement are also separate.
  • Option C: Install a combination range rather separate oven and cooktop units. My wife would prefer separate units and a double oven.
  • Option D: I could install tandem breakers for existing non AFCI circuits, but this is a temporary solution.
  • Option E: Last resort would be to upgrade to a larger panel. I just installed the panel last year, and more than 30 spaces seems like overkill for a house the size of mine.

Guidance is appreciated!

Old 05-13-18, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The microwave and refrigerator are permitted on the 20 amp small appliance branch circuits . An over the range microwave would call for a dedicated circuit . The range hood can be on the lighting circuit unless it is a plug in unit.

Old 05-13-18, 09:10 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
As you found out a panel fills quickly if you are doing any significant wiring. Since you don't like tandems you won't be happy with a panel that is close to full.

Option F: Add a sub-panel

Old 05-14-18, 07:30 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The dishwasher and disposal can be combined if you're using standard residential sized units.

Old 05-14-18, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
30 space, 200 amp service panel.
That's an awful small main 200A panel.

Old 05-24-18, 12:02 PM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all. Putting the refrigerator and microwave on the small appliance circuits and combining the disposal/dishwasher postpone the problem for now. The hood does have a plug and requires a dedicated circuit. Sounds like a subpanel may be needed in the future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: