Replacing romex in walls

Old 05-15-18, 01:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing romex in walls

Rewiring my house and it already has some romex in the walls. Do i just leave the old wiring in the walls and cut it off at the hole in the top plate? Do i have to secure the new wiring on the studs in the walls? How would that work?

skeeter

Old 05-15-18, 02:33 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, if you are fishing the new NM B in the walls no need to secure them, as for the old abandoned cables I like to make sure they are dead then I strip the ends of the conductors and wirenut them all together and stuff them in the wall.
Geo

Old 05-15-18, 04:45 PM
A
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Long answer. At no time or place is it required to break open a new hole in the wall for the purpose of securing fished cables to studs or to enlarge a hole in order to wield a hammer or screwdriver, etc. to accomplish such securing. Instead the requirement for the securing is deferred, distance wise with no limit, until you get to an already accessible securing location.

Are you sure that the old cables cannot be reused? (If they do not have ground wires of the same size as the hot and neutral (14, 12, 10 gauge) then the cables will not be reusable.) I would not destroy reusable cables although decommissioned dead cables need not end in outlet boxes with exposed covers.

Old 05-17-18, 11:12 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that verifies what i thought i had read somewhere before.

skeeter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: