new 20amp circuit for laundry.

Old 05-16-18, 07:26 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new 20amp circuit for laundry.

I am adding a new 20amp circuit for my laundry, since the previous homeowner put the laundry, a bathroom, and the water softener all on the same circuit. My garage is drywall and concrete, not painted/taped. I live in a quad townhome, so my sidewall and rear wall abutt the other townhomes.

I don't have a diagram but the current electrical setup is this:
1. From breaker box across wall/ceiling corner - tacked to the wood joist/support.
2. Penetrates drywall into unfinished laundry room (no firestop of any kind)
3. above the joists it goes to the ceiling light (pull-chain light)
4. From light, goes above joists to rear concrete wall and enters EMT
5. in EMT down to duplex outlet
6. From duplex outlet EMT runs it to the bathroom and powers the fixtures there.

The new 20amp circuit will power the washer and gas dryer. We plan to take out the outlet currently there and put a blank plate over the box so the old circuit will power the ceiling light in the laundry and bathroom only.

1. Can I tack the new 12-2 romex across that same joist at the wall/ceiling corner or does it need to be in conduit (I seem to find debate over romex in conduit). I can't figure out if this would be considered an area where it's exposed to potential physical damage - requiring conduit.
2. If it should be put into conduit - should I/can I pull the current romex and put both into the conduit? I'm guessing that's a no due to potential heat buildup)
3. The new outlet - If I read code properly, since the new outlet will be within 6ft of a sink (utility sink) it needs to be GFI protected, but I've read that you don't want a washing machine on a GCFI. It's a newer high efficiency washing machine. I am planning to make it a GFCI at this point. From what I understand the dryer can also go into this outlet since it's gas.
4. Can I put the new romex through the same poorly cut hole in the garage drywall as the old, and add firestop to fill, or should I use EMT to go through drywall.

thanks!

Old 05-16-18, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Cables can be run in conduit where needed for protection from damage . Whether the cable is considered subject to damage is entirely subjective. The code does not define physical damage .

There is no reason for a washer not to be on gfi protection . It is required .

Old 05-16-18, 10:22 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
1. Can I tack the new 12-2 romex across that same joist at the wall/ceiling corner...
Yes, as long as it's not somewhere that can be easily damaged.

2. If it should be put into conduit - should I/can I pull the current romex and put both into the
conduit? I'm guessing that's a no due to potential heat buildup)
Pulling cable in conduit, while permitted, is a pain in the rear. I would never do this for more than a couple feet for protection.

3. The new outlet - If I read code properly, since the new outlet will be within 6ft of a sink (utility sink) it needs to be GFI protected, but I've read that you don't want a washing machine on a GCFI. It's a newer high efficiency washing machine. I am planning to make it a GFCI at this point. From what I understand the dryer can also go into this outlet since it's gas.
No issue with putting a washer on a GFI. Older washers, likely with other problems, may trip the GFI, but new ones should be fine. Yes, the gas dryer can share it.

4. Can I put the new romex through the same poorly cut hole in the garage drywall as the old, and add firestop to fill, or should I use EMT to go through drywall.
Yes, no issue pulling the cable through the drywall. You should seal the hole with either drywall compound or firestop caulk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: