Secondary wire in the main electric conduit?

Old 05-16-18, 06:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Secondary wire in the main electric conduit?

Hello,

I would like to know if it would be acceptable to run a secondary circuit through the same conduit as the main power feed from the hydro.

The reason is that I would like to run a wire from my condo to the garage which is besides the main conduit and it runs through concrete. I am authorized only to do simple installations, but not to drill through the concrete.

Thank you for your advice!

Old 05-16-18, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you are asking if you can run a circuit thru the main service conduit between the meter and the panel..... or main panel to sub panel.... the answer is no.

If the hydro is a secondary fused circuit then you can run an additional one thru it based on the size of the wires and the conduit.

Old 05-17-18, 09:56 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Like Pete said, you're not allowed to. The power company doesn't like branch circuits running around the meter since that's typically what people do when they are stealing electricity by bypassing the meter. There are also safety concerns with it.

Instead of drilling through the cement foundation, can you go up an extra couple feet and drill through the wood band joist (above the foundation), then use some smaller conduit to come down the outside of the house to underground?

Old 05-17-18, 05:03 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your inputs on that, I was hoping for a way to charge an electric car at my rented condo (no permanent modification allowed), but it looks like I'm going to have to move.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: