Breaker tripping after replacing receptacle

Old 05-17-18, 10:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Breaker tripping after replacing receptacle

Due to damage I needed to replace my receptacle under the sink that runs my dishwasher and garbage disposal. I took a picture of the back of the receptacle before i took it apart. I replaced with a new receptacle the exact same 20v 125 as the original. I put the wires in the same spot as before. Now, when I turn on breaker my garbage disposal switch operates backwards and then the breakers trip. I've tried switching both black wires and I also tried switching the white wire on their respective sides. I tried this with four different combinations but every time it trips. I can't figure this out and really need some help...please!!

Old 05-17-18, 11:25 AM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
Break the tab on the hot side (Brass screw)

Was the tab broken off on the original receptacle?

Old 05-17-18, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your description leads us to believe only one circuit is involved. The breaker should not trip whether or not the hot side tab was removed. It sounds like you have a switch loop there and have confused that wiring.

Post the picture you took..... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 05-17-18, 05:37 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It was the tab!!! As soon as I broke it, it worked fine! It made sense as soon as I saw it. Thanks for the quick response too..you guys help me look competent in from of my wife

Old 05-17-18, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
That is very unusual. That would suggest two circuits there or possibly switching the neutral.
The tab in place created a short between the always live receptacle and the switched receptacle.
That would keep the switched receptacle always live but would not create a short to trip a circuit breaker.

If you have a voltmeter...... check from the small slot of each receptacle to ground.
Each should show 120vac.
With the switch on..... check between the two small slots. There should be 0v measured.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: